Brakes! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brakes!

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Ranger 4x4
I recently replaced the brake pads on my Mothers 2004 Auto4x4 4.6L Explorer. The replacement pads are made by Bendix. They seem to squeak at light pedal pressure or slow speed braking. They pads are brand new, any input on why they would squeak?

Or are Bendix products junk?

Thanks.

Let 'em squeak! Sure, it's annoying, but it's not going to hurt anything.

I remember back in the '80s, BMW got bashed by one of the US car magazines, and their CEO made a reply letter back to that magazine. To paraphrase, he said "That's the difference between the German drivers and American drivers...The German driver doesn't care if his brakes squeak, as long as they stop well. The American driver doesn't care if his vehicle stops, just as long as the brakes don't squeak!"

No truer words were ever spoken.

Let 'em squeak! Sure, it's annoying, but it's not going to hurt anything.

I remember back in the '80s, BMW got bashed by one of the US car magazines, and their CEO made a reply letter back to that magazine. To paraphrase, he said "That's the difference between the German drivers and American drivers...The German driver doesn't care if his brakes squeak, as long as they stop well. The American driver doesn't care if his vehicle stops, just as long as the brakes don't squeak!"

No truer words were ever spoken.

Nowadays I would rationalize that "we need quiet brakes because the squeaking really interupts the cell phone call we're on." :p:

Back