Brand new coil fried and killed the PCM driver | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brand new coil fried and killed the PCM driver

datadawg70

Reaction score
City, State
Dover, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
Hi All, I'm new to the forum. My wife's 2011 Explorer developed a misfire on #6. Since the car has over 200k miles and I don't know if the previous owner ever changed plugs or coils I bought brand new Motorcraft coils and plugs and installed them. Car started up and ran great on my test drive and even idled while I stopped and BSed with a neighbor down the road. The next day my wife takes to go to a meeting and only gets about 3 miles from home and it starts misfiring again. She drives it home and I read the codes. It now shows a misfire on #5. I pull the coil and it is melted all the way around the top of the grey plastic piece that sits down inside the valve cover. Thinking that was the only issue I installed one of the old coils, cleared the codes, and started it back up. Still misfiring on #5. I swap coil and plug with #4 and still have a misfire on #5. I found the coil wire at the PCM and did a continuity test on it to make sure it wasn't a damage wire but it was good. My assumption at this point is that when the brand new coil went it took the driver in the PCM with it. My question is can I go after the vendor that I bought the coils from or Ford to replace the coil and to pay for the damage done to the PCM by the defective part as it is clearly a manufacturing issue?

20231207_165840.jpg

20231207_165844.jpg

20231207_165849.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dang! I have a similar issue that was never resolved.

IANAL, nor do I know PA law, so you should contact one or find a law forum with a few that have time to kill.

However my impression is that the vendor is required to provide goods fit for service so you are entitled to a refund (unless specifically stated to be as-is goods), but you'd have to go after Ford for the PCM damage, assuming it is a genuine motorcraft coil.

If it turns out that your PCM is damaged, sorry for your loss but can we get pics of the internals if you end up trashing rather than trying to get it repaired? At the same time, there are services that repair them, seems to be one transistor for each coil and the surface mount transistor is replaced... not certain about on an '11 but a visual examination or trace with a multimeter might determine this.

Where did you purchase the coils?
Can you take pictures of old and new from top and sides for comparison?
The vendor offered to send me a new coil but still need to do something about the PCM

20231208_114112.jpg

20231208_114119.jpg

20231208_114130.jpg

20231208_114147.jpg

20231208_114112.jpg

Doesn't look right /OE to me but I could be wrong, manufacturing changing factories or even countries is nothing new. I'd still investigate that.

I am also wondering about the part#. Both Rock Auto and White Bear Lake Ford, show the part # for that is a DG520, not DSVYA. I don't know if that makes a difference.

I can't even find a solid source for a DSVYA, though I did find an ebay seller showing it is for a '21-'23 F150 with Ford part # ML3E-12A366-EC which I also was not able to find on major parts sites.

I don't know the history of the vehicle, so this is just wild speculation, that the prior owner used the wrong, and counterfeit replacement part, and "maybe" you just took the part # from that wrong counterfeit part and found an even worse counterfeit version of the wrong part? IDK, just throwing an idea out there... I don't understand why sites would spec a different part # otherwise ,but either way that pic of the new coil with the printed on fomoco and part #, doesn't look right at all.

I don't know anything about those generations of PCMs. The are rebuild services that could probably fix it. If you go to the dealer, they will sell you a new PCM for, no telling how much, PLUS charge to install, flash program and maybe even have to reprogram your keys. I would suggest that you keep your butt against the wall if you go to the dealer to get a "quote". Maybe not even take your 2011 with you.

Back