Help! 2016 Explorer misfires infrequently (one day fine, next day not) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! 2016 Explorer misfires infrequently (one day fine, next day not)

Shep4

Reaction score
City, State
Leesburg
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited
Hopefully someone can help me figure this out. I have a 2016 Explorer Limited.

160k miles. 3.5
Fairly well maintained.

A little while ago misfires started with my engine. The code indicated cylinder 4, and I hadnt replaced coils ever so I had a shop replace them and the plugs.

Misfires continued with a P0316 code (random misfire first 1000 revs) along with P0171 (too lean) on both banks. I wasnt getting either code before replacing all the coils/plugs

The rough idling abd misfire condition will continue (with or without CEL) for a few minutes and then the engine smooths out.

One other wrinkle is that it will sometimes go days without misfiring. For example, it is Sunday. The last time it misfired was Thursday. Friday I drove normally (normal amount of miles). Yesterday I drove a bit and same with today. It didnt misfire at all on Friday and Saturday. And for most of today, it drove smoothly.

But it gave me a rough idle for about 45 seconds earlier this evening (no CEL).

I had even checked via a scanner earlier today when it was running okay and no codes present.

So my questions is this:

What causes my engine to run fine one day and misfire the next?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I don't know about the codes but the 2016 Explorer had issues with the throttle body. Have you checked that?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I don't know about the codes but the 2016 Explorer had issues with the throttle body. Have you checked that?

Peter
Not yet. Am gonna check it out and the MAF. I know how to remove the MAF, but not sure on process for cleaning the MAF. Not sure if I'm supposed to spray cleaner directly on it or around it.

But yes, thank you for responding. I'll try to see if the TB needs cleaning or replacing

You might have a sticking fuel injector. Try running a bottle of techron or half a can of seafoam in the fuel tank prior to refilling see if that helps your issue any. As for cleaning your maf sensor, crc makes a maf sensor cleaner spray you can get from any parts store or you can use an electronic parts cleaner. Just give it at least 10 minutes to fully dry before reinstalling.

Seafoam in the fuel tank?!

I don't know what Seafoam contains but this is what the manual says.

Do not use:
  • Diesel fuel.
  • Fuels containing kerosene or paraffin.
  • Fuel containing more than 15% ethanol or E85 fuel.
  • Fuels containing methanol.
  • Fuels containing metallic-based additives, including manganese-based compounds.
  • Fuels containing the octane booster additive, methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT).
  • Leaded fuel, using leaded fuel is prohibited by law.
The use of fuels with metallic compounds such as methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (commonly known as MMT), which is a manganese-based fuel additive, will impair engine performance and affect the emission control system.

Peter

Yes, I've been using seafoam for years in my intake & fuel without any adverse effects. I don't know the exact contents off hand. I will look at the can when I get home tonight, but they are all petroleum based.

Back