• Register Today It's free!

break light problem

cden

Reaction score
City, State
michigan city, indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xls
i have a 2002 ford explorer xls. 4x4. the problem that i have is the brake lights stay on sometimes after i let my foot off the brake. i have to pump on the brake or pull on the brake pedal in order to get them to turn off. any ideas on what the problem is and how to fix it? thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a 2002 ford explorer xls. 4x4. the problem that i have is the brake lights stay on sometimes after i let my foot off the brake. i have to pump on the brake or pull on the brake pedal in order to get them to turn off. any ideas on what the problem is and how to fix it? thanks
brake light problem

First thing I would check is the brake light actuator switch, which on most cars, and I presume the Explorer, is up under the dashboard and in contact with the brake pedal arm, just up from the pedal itself.

Usually a cheap part and not hard to replace.

Just out of curiosity, how can you see your brake lights while you depress the pedal? How do you know they are on?

i know they are on because when i try to use my cruise control it dosent work. at night i can see the lights on when i get out. and during the day i usually catch it but sometimes they might stay on for hours until i catch it.

i know they are on because when i try to use my cruise control it dosent work. at night i can see the lights on when i get out. and during the day i usually catch it but sometimes they might stay on for hours until i catch it.

That helps confirm it for me that it is the switch mentioned above.

Back