Break lights stay on when pedel is not pressed.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Break lights stay on when pedel is not pressed..

JawzSS

Reaction score
City, State
Delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Mountaineer
My break lights have been staying on after I break and release the pedel. This has happened to me on another vehicle and I fixed it but I forget what the part is called. Is it something like the "break control module or switch?" ..

Can't imagine how annoying this is for individuals behind me on the highway who think I'm riding the breaks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its most likely the brake switch. (Little component higher up on your brake pedal)

Shouldnt be too hard to replace. Try unplugging it, see if thats the culprit.

For sure.. Def assuming that's the culprit.. Just could remember the correct name for the part.. I replaced it on another vehicle and it's super simple..

I had the same issue, damn thing killed my battery. I replaced the brake switch. I also recall there being a TSB for this issue as well. Easy fix though.

and yes that's the part you need.

You might be able to fix it without replacing it!

When my brake lights stayed on, I removed the switch, sanded down the contacts (due to buildup from arcing), and lubed the plunger. It has been working great ever since.

Check out this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=263098

The whole thing is a great read. My experience starts at post #20 and there are good pics by azdevildog0311.

Good luck. :D:thumbsup:

Back