BrettBuilt hitch mounted kayak/bike/cargo rack system | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BrettBuilt hitch mounted kayak/bike/cargo rack system

Hokie

Hokius Maximus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 TJ Sport
This thread is a prime example of what happens when engineering students get bored during finals week... I dreamed all this up about 3 AM while taking a study break.

Pic 1 shows my favorite activity in Charleston, SC
Pic 2 shows my old method of transportation to/from the beach *the arrows indicate locations of dents, dings, and scratches from loading the kayak on the roof for 5 months last year. (It also show's how badly I need to do an SOA mod for the rear, look at how low those friggin' shock mounts hang)
Pic 3 shows my (badly) photoshop'd (MSPaint) brainstorm

Attachments

• brett kayak smaller.jpg
    brett kayak smaller.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,721
  • adry with prijon on roof problems.JPG
    adry with prijon on roof problems.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 14,379
  • Adry w kayak upside down.JPG
    Adry w kayak upside down.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,970

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pic 1... lets see here, how can this be done?
Pic 2... EUREKA, we have a solution. All it takes is one hitch mounted mtn bike rack, some scrap steel, a sawzall, a drill and a saturday afternoon (you can also see the anti-rattle hitch pin that I had to turn on a lathe at work to make everything quick release/lockable)
Pic 3... i think we're on to something!

Attachments

• Resize of IMGP0693.JPG
    Resize of IMGP0693.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 1,736
  • Resize of IMGP0694.JPG
    Resize of IMGP0694.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 1,641
  • Resize of IMGP0695.JPG
    Resize of IMGP0695.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 3,247

Pic 1 ... Houston, I think we've got it!
Pic 2 ... But wait, I have a hitch mounted cargo rack too...
Pic 3 ... Notice the auxilliary reciever I have bolted to the center of the rack

Attachments

• Resize of IMGP0700.JPG
    Resize of IMGP0700.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 3,463
  • Resize of IMGP0697.JPG
    Resize of IMGP0697.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,635
  • Resize of IMGP0696.JPG
    Resize of IMGP0696.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 12,607

Pic 1 ... when there's a will there's a way :) Notice how the bike/kayak rack doesn't affect my cooler and grille carrying capacities :D Also, you can see the need for the next project ~ a paddle attachment
Pic 2/3 ... When not in use, it folds up nicely

Attachments

• Resize of IMGP0704.JPG
    Resize of IMGP0704.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,992
  • Resize of IMGP0709.JPG
    Resize of IMGP0709.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 1,613
  • Resize of IMGP0708.JPG
    Resize of IMGP0708.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 1,660

Yeup, all in a hard day's work :D

I now can carry 2 coolers, or 1 cooler and 1 camping grille + my kayak + 1 bike. Now thats being prepared for one helluva weekend outing! :thumbsup:

I think these kayak's might be slightly too large ;)

Attachments

• Resize of adry with yak.JPG
    Resize of adry with yak.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 2,077

That looks awesome, Hokie! Do you guys have any laws about needing brake lights or a red flag on a load that far from the rear of your truck?

A couple of wheelie bars would be a nice finishing touch!! :D

I was going to ask the same as section............in VA, that would require, at least, a red flag being that it hangs out more than 2' from the rear of the vehicle.

Out of curiousity, do you carry so much inside the vehicle to require so much exterior cargo space? It is a SUV. :p ;)

Robb said:
A couple of wheelie bars would be a nice finishing touch!! :D

I was going to ask the same as section............in VA, that would require, at least, a red flag being that it hangs out more than 2' from the rear of the vehicle.

Robb, thanks for the info, I'll get a red flag that I can hang off of it. I won't run around with the cargo rack AND the kayak rack but maybe 1 or 2 times a year. just made the attachment so I could carry both if needs be

Robb said:
Out of curiousity, do you carry so much inside the vehicle to require so much exterior cargo space? It is a SUV. :p ;)

It's not that I do carry that much, its that I CAN carry that much ;)

As for junk in the trunk, last july 3 of us went camping/kayaking in NC and my truck was loaded to the gills with coolers and equipment. this way I can keep both back seats up (carry 2-3 people comfortably) and keep the wet/dirty stuff like the grille, cooler, and rubbermade tub (that I keep my kayak skirt, helmet, PFD, etc in) outside so my interior doesn't get trashed. Also, the cargo rack is great for hauling a deer from the field.

Basically, going for as much utlility as possible from my SUV so I can keep it and not buy a pickup (and then loose passenger space) I was thiiiiiiiiiiis close to getting my truck back to stock last summer and selling it to buy a Ranger or Taco b/c I HATED putting the kayak on the roof every day. But I didn't want to give up my comfortable rear seats (ever ridden in the back of an ext cab Ranger? You'll hate life after about 8 minutes). So this project was the natural answer to my problems :thumbsup:

Keep in mind you 4 door people have an extra 10" of cargo space than me

I wouldnt worry about the flag, I've driven through virginia many times with 4 bikes on the back that stick out more than 2 feet and completely block the license plate and have never had an issue.

EMG7895 said:
I wouldnt worry about the flag, I've driven through virginia many times with 4 bikes on the back that stick out more than 2 feet and completely block the license plate and have never had an issue.

Yeah, I wonder if the rules apply to bikes my bike rack definately stuck out more than 2 feet before I did anything to it.

Back