Broken accumulator spring = burnt clutches? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Broken accumulator spring = burnt clutches?

sidneyhop

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 AWD Limited
I had a broken 2-3 accumulator spring. I read in another forum on another site that having this can eventually cause the clutches to fail. :frustrate

0421131520_zps322bcde7.jpg

Its only been going on for 3 days, but still, on the third day 3rd gear went out completely where as I wasn't able to shift past 2nd.

Can having a busted 2-3 spring cause 3rd to go out like this?

The sludgy material that was on the pan magnet was about half the volume as the magnet itself. Also the film on the VB plate shows how much was present there. Does this look like the result of a burnt clutch?

0420131926_zps9049838f.jpg

I don't want to waste the fluid and gaskets if a rebuild is needed, using twice the amount.

If a rebuild is needed whats the best kit to get? I found a guy who's able to pull the trans, rebuild it, and reinstall for 300$. Does this sound like 'too good' of a price? What other things can I take care of now to insure a solid build?

Thanks
(sorry for the double post)

If the material is not magnetic, it's from the clutches.

Sorry, it seems to me that you need to take the tranny out from car.

If the material is not magnetic, it's from the clutches.

Sorry, it seems to me that you need to take the tranny out from car.

Well, there was a good amount of the black sludgy stuff stuck to the magnet. If it is magnetic does that mean it isn't the clutches? What is that stuff then?

Back