Broken driver's side power window switch? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Broken driver's side power window switch?

pjmystic

Reaction score
I have an 02 Explorer. The driver's side/left driver's window power switch seems to have gone bad. The other 3 switches work fine. The window will go down but will not go up but if I pry loose the module and fiddle with it, it will go back up. The power switch itself feels broken. It doesn't have the same "click" that the other 3 switches have when pressing the up arrow and feels like it is broken inside (if that makes any sense.)

My question is, can I just buy that individual switch or do I need to buy the entire module with all 4 switches? Looking online I can see the entire module for around $47 but I would buy the individual switch if cheaper but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks in advance, great site.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have to get the whole thing.

Thanks Matt. After reading a fair amount it appears that when windows aren't working correctly it could be a few different problems.

Do my symptoms appear to be switch related? I'm far from an expert but the way the switch feels and acts it sure seems like it. I don't really want to buy the part if that's not the problem but I'm sure it's a good place to start.

IF the switch feels physically bad than replace the switch. If you don't want to buy a new one becuase you are worried that there is something else, try a junk yard to see if they have one.

Here is a great link for troubleshooting the power windows, thanks to theofam for this great link Dead Link Removed

I recommend that you download it so it will easier to read and you'll have it for future reference.

Hope this helps out. Keep us posted.

I ended up ordering the master switch off of ebay, installed it in about 5 minutes and everything is working again. Thanks to all.

I ended up ordering the master switch off of ebay, installed it in about 5 minutes and everything is working again. Thanks to all.

Nice getting the stuff working again isn't it? :thumbsup: Thanks for the update. :biggthump

Niferr
Wannabe Elite Explorer
Chicago, il
2002 Ford Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

This is my first post and I'm in love with this forum! My drivers side window with the auto has been feeling strange for about a year! After researching here I ordered a power window switch from ebay for $50 since my dealer said the motor was fine a year ago! I figured for that little I had to try! I literally pulled off the trim piece (no tool) took the 2 plugs out put new piece in and now in my Chicago winter have a window that goes up and down again! 5 min and $50! Worth a try right?

This is my first post and I'm in love with this forum! My drivers side window with the auto has been feeling strange for about a year! After researching here I ordered a power window switch from ebay for $50 since my dealer said the motor was fine a year ago! I figured for that little I had to try! I literally pulled off the trim piece (no tool) took the 2 plugs out put new piece in and now in my Chicago winter have a window that goes up and down again! 5 min and $50! Worth a try right?

Nicely done. :D:thumbsup:

I am wrangling with a variation on this theme. I figured out that the ground wire to the main driver side switch had failed, so I put in a jumper to a bolt in the body for the ground side of the circuit. Then I tried the window and a couple connections in the circuit board in the switch burned up. So I'm guessing that was the original problem and the ground wire burned off at a connection somewhere. The ALLDATA drawings that show the hot and ground wires would have saved me some time there, so thanks for that link.

Back