• Register Today It's free!

broken exhaust manifold bolt

sajnaj

Reaction score
City, State
rockville in
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt
ok i just got my y pipe but i could not get the bolts out of the manifold conecting to the y pipe. and oh yea there is no y pipe it was hacked out so.

then i decide im going to take out the manifold its self. I was on the top bolt the furtheres away from the fire wall driver side im cranking on it and powder is coming out and so i think yea its coming out, but then snap it broke.

what is the best way to take this bolt out should i just leave the manifold on and never bother with it and just drill out the bolts that conect the y pipe up to the manifold, or should i try and fix it im woried that if i try to take it out its going to break more of them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sory im kind of freaking out im woried that i might be doing a major over haul soon

Is the broken bolt sheared off at the head, or on the manifold/y-pipe?

both i know how to fix it on the manifold im just going to drill it out and tap. but the head im no completelry shure on i might just leave it as it is and never touch it again

3 options

Do you want the good news or bad?

Its most likely a stud that is snapped off. From the sound of it its a stud that goes into the cylinder head (the manifold isn't threaded).

You have three options. One is to leave it alone, but that will cause you an exhaust leak, eventually mess up your O2 sensor and potentially cause a cylinder to run lean if pushed hard (been there done that on a jeep)

BTW you need to use pb blaster for a couple of days/weeks on the studs/bolts (it will smoke when you run it)

Option 2) Use a quality drill bit and drill (might need a right angle drill) a hold in the center of the stud.....this will be extremely hard and you must do it directly in the center of the stud......then get a quality (read not cheap menards crap) ez-out and attempt to extract the stud)

You have a 50/50 chance of snapping the ez out....so if it snaps you can attempt to put a nut around the ez-out/stud and weld it on so you can try and use a socket. Otherwise you are at option 3

Option 3) Remove the head put it on a drill press or take it to a machine shop to get it removed.

Good luck

im for shur that the stud is not broke when i broke i had the head of the bolt it was really short and it was only one bolt is it posible that it will not leak

and if worse comes to worse i have a efi 302 siting in my back yard

Well, something came off, is it a bolt, or a stud with a nut? Does it look like a nut with a little bit of metal (stud) still inserted in it?

If it broke off it will leak. Its only a matter of time, you have a cylinder head and exhaust manifold that expand and contract at slightly different rates, this is why it is held on by more than 1 bolt.

Worst case senario is you take the head off and have it removed (shouldnt cost more than 50 bucks at a shop if you didn't mess anything up).

it was a bolt and im shure that the bolt is still in the head/stud well anyways its going to the shop monday im tired of fighting with it

Back