• Register Today It's free!

Broken Exhaust Manifold Studs

Exploder82

Reaction score
City, State
IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport ;p
Has anyone had broken exhaust manifold studs on the rear on a Sport? I had one broken and have a warped manifold, so attempting to install a new one. Still don’t have the manifold out, but wondering how others got the broken studs out.

I want to say I read once upon a time there's unused bolt holes on the manifold, so if it's just not there it could be that, but if you broke it or know its in there it comes down to whether or not there's any stud sticking out once the manifold is off. If there is any left there are a myriad of ways generally a lot of heat is going to be the biggest aid, if not, drill it out or weld a nut onto it or buy one of the somewhat pricey kits designed for the job (several companies have bolt on guides to help drill or weld something on to get it out).

I want to say I read once upon a time there's unused bolt holes on the manifold, so if it's just not there it could be that, but if you broke it or know its in there it comes down to whether or not there's any stud sticking out once the manifold is off. If there is any left there are a myriad of ways generally a lot of heat is going to be the biggest aid, if not, drill it out or weld a nut onto it or buy one of the somewhat pricey kits designed for the job (several companies have bolt on guides to help drill or weld something on to get it out).
I’m aware of unused bolt holes. The studs are broke. One broke from warping and the other broke from me removing it.

I’m aware of unused bolt holes. The studs are broke. One broke from warping and the other broke from me removing it.
Each manifold is held on by 8 studs and nuts. There are no unused mounts that could be used to mount the manifold. Stick a nut on the stud. Zap it in the center with the welder. Use a torch to heat the metal around the stud, and work it off. I remove the passenger side stub axle assembly which gave me alot more room. Then you can access them from underneath rather then just be feel from the top.

Back