Broken front cup holder | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Broken front cup holder

00excursion

Reaction score
My front cup holder in my 2020 Platinum seems to have dropped a 1/4 inch and the 4 spring tensions that hold cup are pushed back in their holes. Is there a way to remove the top cover of the console to see what is going on and ideally fix?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My front cup holder in my 2020 Platinum seems to have dropped a 1/4 inch and the 4 spring tensions that hold cup are pushed back in their holes. Is there a way to remove the top cover of the console to see what is going on and ideally fix?
I would have the dealer fix it under warranty.

As mentioned above, take it to the dealer. If you attempt repairs, they may say that you caused the problem and refuse any possible warranty coverage, assuming it is covered.

Peter

Same thing with mine. The from cup holder is broken so it hinges from the right side. Dealer confirmed and is replacing it under warranty

Same thing with mine. The from cup holder is broken so it hinges from the right side. Dealer confirmed and is replacing it under warranty
Welcome to the Forum.
You still have a warranty on your 2012 Limited??

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.
You still have a warranty on your 2012 Limited??

Peter
The warrantee is only for 3 years bumper to bumper on my 2020 Explorer. So, no fix at the dealership unless you pay for it. I called Ford Customer service, and they are not helpful. There is a Video on how to fix it yourself online. . That may be better for a longer lasting repair than anything the dealership will do for you. Planned obsolescence of this repair.

The warrantee is only for 3 years bumper to bumper on my 2020 Explorer. So, no fix at the dealership unless you pay for it. I called Ford Customer service, and they are not helpful. There is a Video on how to fix it yourself online. That may be better for a longer lasting repair than anything the dealership will do for you. Planned obsolescence of this repair.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Yes, that is the standard factory bumper-to-bumper warranty, but other items may be longer or shorter. The part is not expensive if you had to buy it. Original 2020-2021 Ford Explorer Cup Holder LB5Z-7813562-BA | Levittown Ford Parts

Peter

Yes, our 21 Explorer did this as well. It is not an easy fix as it looks. I would have the dealer do it if it was me. The cupholder is cheap but the labor takes around 2 hours or so. Our new timberland is suffering from the broken drivers side window switch issue where the rear passenger window rolled down and won't come back up.

I would have the dealer fix it under warranty.
Its a crazy repair and labor intensive, total bill 350.00 not under warranty even my 3rd party considered cosmetic. Basic warranty 3/36 would cover. They cut me a break at 95/hr labor rate all for 2 rubber bands. Ford come on an recallnthis pathetic design and flaw.

110 degrees+ in our area for a month and the rubber bands broke. Who would ever imagine. LOL

Rubber bands, another one of Ford's "better ideas". :angryfire:

110 degrees+ in our area for a month and the rubber bands broke. Who would ever imagine. LOL

Im in North Port FL so high 90's but what a pain dealer doing it now for 350.00 but intially quoted 682 due to labor intensive i said hell no and they called me back and lowered the price .

Its a crazy repair and labor intensive, total bill 350.00 not under warranty even my 3rd party considered cosmetic. Basic warranty 3/36 would cover. They cut me a break at 95/hr labor rate all for 2 rubber bands. Ford come on an recallnthis pathetic design and flaw.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Most of the 2020 interior is held together with the cheapest plastic available. It really sucks. Mine was less than 6 months old when all the creaks and rattles started. Luckily I play music on the radio at volume level 8, so it drowns most of it out.

Most of the 2020 interior is held together with the cheapest plastic available. It really sucks. Mine was less than 6 months old when all the creaks and rattles started. Luckily I play music on the radio at volume level 8, so it drowns most of it out.
I honestly have no real issues, other than that. I also have a 21 Hybrid. Its the stupid cup holder need a recall on a poor design.

I honestly have no real issues, other than that. I also have a 21 Hybrid. Its the stupid cup holder need a recall on a poor design.
I use my cupholders every day for almost 4 years and luckily haven't had any issues with them. Also I have not had the chrome peel on the switches like everyone else has had. Mine is an 11/19 build too, which is pretty early. I've had the driver's seat panel break a couple times and repaired under 36 month warranty. The rattles and creaks are so annoying from the hatch area, rear door panels, dash and driver's seat. But none have bothered me enough to have fixed under bumper to bumper warranty. For the sake of new customers, I hope the new interior on the 2024 holds together better and feels better too. Mine never really felt like a $60K vehicle should feel.

I use my cupholders every day for almost 4 years and luckily haven't had any issues with them. Also I have not had the chrome peel on the switches like everyone else has had. Mine is an 11/19 build too, which is pretty early. I've had the driver's seat panel break a couple times and repaired under 36 month warranty. The rattles and creaks are so annoying from the hatch area, rear door panels, dash and driver's seat. But none have bothered me enough to have fixed under bumper to bumper warranty. For the sake of new customers, I hope the new interior on the 2024 holds together better and feels better too. Mine never really felt like a $60K vehicle should feel.
Agreed

Why cant Ford give like 4 years / 50K miles basic warranty like other car manufacturers do like BMW when purchasing a new vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why cant Ford give like 4 years / 50K miles basic warranty like other car manufacturers do like BMW when purchasing a new vehicle.
Ford does, on the Lincoln brand.
While there are manufacturers that offer 4 years, 50K mile warranties, many still only offer the 3 year, 36K mile warranty.

Peter

Back