Broken gas gauge or tank float problem? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Broken gas gauge or tank float problem?

Tim K

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
(former owner) '97 XLT
OK, I posted a thread about my "Sudden, Horrible gas mileage" and asked what the problem could be. Everyone including me thought it was either a bad tank or maybe an 02 sensor problem...but it seems that the problem is with the instruments. The first 1/2 tank only got me about 60 miles according to the gauge, while the 2nd half got me almost 200. Since 250-280 miles/tank is normal for me in the winter, what the heck is wrong?

Is it the gauge...could there be a problem with the float in the tank? Anyone?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be the dash mounted guage, but it is more probably the float in the tank. Mine has been kaput for about a year. Only solution is to drop the tank and fix it or install a new float. Or just let it go and keep track of your fuel the old crude way. I keep track of my fuel consumption by using my trip odometer and the amount of fuel it takes to fill the tank back up. The capacity of my tank on my 91 is 19.3 gallons, so if it takes 17.0 gal to fill it, there was about 2.3 gal left. And if I had traveled 300 miles to consume the 17.0 gal, I would be getting about 17.65 mpg. You should do the same to determine if it's just the guage or float, or another problem that is causing very poor mileage.

The most accurate way to track your mileage is to divide how many miles you traveled (I reset my tripometer every time I fill up) by the number of gallons you pumped in the tank.

My gas guage has been screwed up for about a year and there is no telling if its right or wrong, so I use the tripometer.

Bad Gas...

I have had my guage out for about a year and a half now I think mine is the sending unit in the tank, but just don't want to take the tank off (Spell - L..A..Z..Y). I use the trip meter to track mine also.... only I have run out of gas twice now...
Mark

yeah, I always watch the odometer anyway so its not a big deal...plus it seems that only the top half of the gauge is wacky as it works fine on the last half a tank. I guess I am half lucky then....

Problem reversed

I have a similar problem but mine is reversed. I always get aroung 200 miles on the first half tank of gas and about 100 miles on the second half.

I wish both halves got 200 miles I hate filling up every 5 days. I would be nice to drive all week and only fill up once. (We fill my wifes Toyota Corrolla up about twice a month and the tank is half the size of the Explorer...) But, I just have to sit high for my daily commute.

I would say in the tank- Had the same problem with my 92 ranger and after installing a new gauge indash- still didnt fix it- after dropping the tank- found the problem-

No big deal here, I've had 3 Fords, and they all took longer to go from F to Half than from half to E. Mileage per tank was same, just a screwy gauge.

Back