Broken Key. What are my options? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Broken Key. What are my options?

Mounty99

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mountaineer 5.0
I have only ONE key for my '99 mountaineer. The other day, I dropped it on the pavement, and the upper part (where the key ring would go) broke off. It still works to start the mountaineer, but I'm not able to glue the top part back, and I can't carry it on my keyring.

Do i have to go the dealership to get a new key? Are there any cheaper options? Thanks for the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can think of at least 4 cheaper options.

1. Locksmith likely cheaper than a dealer. Yes, they can do this with just one working key, likely about $75-$100.
2. Remove the transponder and fix it near the sensing device inside the steering column cover. ( somewhat risky in my opinion) and get regular blank keys cut. There are posts you can find about this.
3. Leave key hidden in your vehicle and use the coded door lock to open.
4. Forscan software (free) says they can program new transponder keys. I cannot verify this but I have ordered transponder keys to try it and should know if it works in s couple of weeks. Yes, this is with just one working key.

Another option would be to get a new transponder key and remove the programmed transponder on the broke key and put it in the new transponder key

My dealership charges less then a locksmith and/or "cloning". $45 if I supply my own key(s). Inserting your chip into a new key would be the cheapest option, or you could remove the lower collar from your steering column plastic trim (just a couple of screws) and glue your chip to it near where the key goes. Then go to the hardware store and have a couple of regular (non-chipped) keys cut.

How reliable is that option? (Glueing under the steering column) I've also got one key and planning to get a new one made at the dealership, but if this is a reliable way of doing it - I'll go that way and save some money :)

How reliable is that option? (Glueing under the steering column) I've also got one key and planning to get a new one made at the dealership, but if this is a reliable way of doing it - I'll go that way and save some money :)

It should work fine as long as the chip is close to the receiver. The receiver doesn't know the transponder chip isn't in the key. Of course, you will loose the security of using only a recognized key.

I used a piece of gorilla tape to attach the transponder right next to the ignition switch. Gorilla tape gets stickier as it bakes in the sun in my explorer.

I don't think too many people are out there stealing beat up 17 year old ford explorers but who knows.

I have the top of the key from my 2012 work van taped to the column until I can get to the dealer for a $120 replacement (been a year so far, still waiting)

Bill

Thanks for the replies guys. I checked with my local dealer…$150 for key and coding. My local locksmith is only $75. However, he can only use a basic blank..and not the regular Mercury logo key.

If I have the locksmith make the key for $75…is it then possible to use my current key and his key…to code a third Merc key blank purchased on ebay?

Thanks again for the help.

http://programautokeys.com/classified/DisplayAd.asp?id=904

Thanks for the replies guys. I checked with my local dealer…$150 for key and coding. My local locksmith is only $75. However, he can only use a basic blank..and not the regular Mercury logo key.

If I have the locksmith make the key for $75…is it then possible to use my current key and his key…to code a third Merc key blank purchased on ebay?

I really do not understand why the locksmith cannot use your "regular Mercury logo key". I would ask him why he cannot use your key if it is an OEM transponder key since it should be the same as his blank.

Anyway, provided the locksmith is actually programming the second key so that after he is finished, you have two working keys (your original broken one and his new one) then yes, you should be able to program a third key as is in your link.

Ouch! My dealer only charges me $65 when they supplied the key blank. $45 if I provide the key. I'm not sure what a "basic blank" is, but I'll bet it's because it's costing him less to use a generic blank. Doesn't really matter as long as it works. Once you have 2 working chipped keys (as long as the locksmith isn't cloning your original key) you can make a third. I buy spare keys off eBay. Lowest price + shipping wins. The last one I bought, for a 2000 Mountaineer, was around $17 and came with 2 new remote fobs.

I really do not understand why the locksmith cannot use your "regular Mercury logo key".
Ouch! My dealer only charges me $65 when they supplied the key blank. $45 if I provide the key.
Thanks crunchie and koda for the replies. The locksmith says his [brand X] coding machine only works with the corresponding [brand X] blanks?? I thought that was a little weird as well.

As far as Ford, yes, $150 is a little steep! Did receive that quote over the phone. Probably will run down there this week and see what's available in person. Will report back as to how this all plays out...

[Just to close out the thread]

Found another locksmith who cut and programmed the key for $55. Took all of three minutes. Could have stopped there, but went ahead and ordered a new original Merc logo key for $25. Will program this one myself. Grand total: $80. Having gone the last seven years with only one key, it is nice to now have a spare and no worries!

Now, back to wondering if I should preemptively change out my 16 year old fuel pump! Thanks again for the replies. This forum is the best!

[Just to close out the thread]

Found another locksmith who cut and programmed the key for $55. Took all of three minutes. Could have stopped there, but went ahead and ordered a new original Merc logo key for $25. Will program this one myself. Grand total: $80. Having gone the last seven years with only one key, it is nice to now have a spare and no worries!

Now, back to wondering if I should preemptively change out my 16 year old fuel pump! Thanks again for the replies. This forum is the best!

I vote do it. I've changed 3 this year. Got Bosch pumps off eBay for around $50 (you'll also need a strainer and fuel filter). I've got doing this job down to a science. It's going to leave you stranded sooner or later.

I vote do it. I've changed 3 this year. Got Bosch pumps off eBay for around $50 (you'll also need a strainer and fuel filter). I've got doing this job down to a science. It's going to leave you stranded sooner or later.
Koda, were you getting any signs of failure before you changed? $50 is a great deal! Which Bosch model is that? I've had my eye on the Motorcraft pump, but just too much $$$.

I just used FORscan to program a second new transponder key. I started with just one programmed key, so no longer do you need a dealer or locksmith to program a second key when you have only one working key.

My key fell out of its casing and still works fine. It engages the central locking and starts the car. I just kept the fob on the key ring and attached the blade to a different ring. My car is a 2006 Proton Savvy AMT so I’m not sure about other makes and models.

Back