• Register Today It's free!

Broken rear windshield wiper

Joshdude

Reaction score
City, State
Long Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 2-door XL
So my rear windshield wiper has pretty much stopped working. It'll turn sometimes when the arm is off or if it's not touching the glass. I've already replaced the motor once. I have no idea on the inner workings of the motor so I can't even guess what could be the problem, maybe a stripped gear? My question is, do you think I need to replace it outright or is there anything I can do to fix it maybe?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

double check to make sure the glass window is "latched" closed properly first. There's a safety switch built in. If the window isn't latched closed all the way, the wiper won't work.

I can't remember exactly what it was, but I did have a problem with mine once, and all I had to do was reattach or tighten something, I really want to say it was the motor. I didn't have to replace anything, just had to tighten it back down.

Mike

I think what Mike (above) is talking about is to check the nut. There is a nut under the cap at the base of the wiper arm, where the arm connects to the motor. Just make sure that is not loose first.

Thanks guys. No it's not the hatch safety switch, like I said it turns without contact but can't when there's any friction. I think I'm going to go ahead and replace it as I'm skeptical that I could actually repair it.

It's either a dirty wiper motor(there's a write up here somewhere on how to take it out clean & re-lube) or the motor is dieing

Back