brown wire mod AWD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

brown wire mod AWD

Reaction score
City, State
sioux falls, south dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 5.0
now I was installing a cd player in my 99 awd mountaineer 5.0, And as i was doing so i found a wireing harness that went to nothing and was in the location of the 4wd switch in 4WD explorers, Mountaineer ect... and my thought was, that couldnt my awd be 4wd but always in Auto "AWD". Like couldnt i get the switch and do the brown wire mod, or would i even need the switch to do so? you know why would it be there if it served no purpouse.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

o and dose anyone make a lift kit for my mounty, cus i cant find nothin, at LEAST 4 inches

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168251&highlight=superlift+lift+kit

If you typed in suspension lift you would have found it in the search feature.

Now to your first question......no. Your case is a full time fourwheel drive case. THere is no selectability for it. That harness you see there could be for the 4wd harnwess in the v6 explorers. If you want to do what i did to my mountaineer, you can swap your awd transfer case with a case from a f-150 years 97-2003, thats for a manual case. If you want eectric get one from a 97-98 expedition. Search for 4406 swap. V8boatbuilder swapped in an electric case, i swapped in a manual.

Attachments

• trip 04.22.06 077.jpg
    trip 04.22.06 077.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 554

Ditto. The BWm does not work in a V-8 AWD vehicle. I believe that's one of the first two paragraphs in the write-up.

-Joe

So If This Wiring Harness Is There!!!
You Can Get A Electric Shift 4406 And Install A Switch From A V6 Model On My Dash And I Can Control The 4wd By The Switch Without Cutting The Hole In My Floor???

You Can Get A Electric Shift 4406 And Install A Switch From A V6 Model On My Dash And I Can Control The 4wd By The Switch Without Cutting The Hole In My Floor???

Not likely. Your GEM is not programmed to control a transfer case at all, and I'd be surprised if that was a feature that could be enabled. Even if it could be enabled, it would be set up to control the 44-05 case, not the 13-54 case, and the two are functionally different designs in ever respect (except for the fact that the low range gearset is engaged by the shift motor). It's not a plug-and-play proposition.

-Joe

Is There A Way To Wire The Eletric 4406 To Work In My Exp?????

Thats What I Would Like To Do If It Is At All Possiable????

I Guess I Did Make It Sound Like I Wanted Plug And Play...

But I Guess I Was Wondering If I Can Wire It To Work And Use The Factory Type Switch On The Dash So I Wont Have To Cut The Floor!!!

Yes it will work. You'll need to add some control wiring(relays) from the V6 model, but yes- a stock Explorer 4wd switch will control an electric shift 4406.

Don't forget you have to swap to a sport gas tank for an electric 4406. You don't with a manual.

Don't forget you have to swap to a sport gas tank for an electric 4406. You don't with a manual.

Didn't he also have to swap out the GEM and run a couple of inputs to it as well?

-Joe

Can I get all the details for this swap? Do you have to modify the front hubs?

there are no front hubs on a gen II and no disconnect for the front end on your 99 AWD.

The hole in the floor is easy compared to the electric shift t case conversion, although if you really want the e shift you can of course do the work.

Back