Brown Wire Mod- How much can it take? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brown Wire Mod- How much can it take?

J1211c

Reaction score
City, State
Mass.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Baurer
How much wheel spinning can the brown wire mod take before the transfer case goes boom? Anyone have it stop working from the mod and spinning the tires?? I know ive done several burnouts and donuts with it, I am wondering how much it can take.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The V6 transmission is a weaker link than the transfer case. The wiring disconnect will not hurt the TC by itself. I'm not familiar with how the power goes straight through the TC. I'd guess that it is fairly straight through, no chain involved. The 4WD Low would be a different situation though. Good luck,

If you're doing donuts on dry pavement in 2 Low (with mod on) then you may be reaching the limits of the t-case... who knows though?

When I still had my crappy 30" wranger RT/S's and the front d-shaft out on my mounty I wanted to put it into Low and light 'em up (5.0 and 4.10 gears) but I was afraid of fubaring the tranny... given its a full size tranny in my truck I probably would've been ok, but still things CAN break

The BWM will cut the power, but it will not stop the clutches from spinning in the t-case when the rear wheels are spinning. I've heard of guys running on dynos having issues with the front wheels wanting to pull right from the start. The t-case simply isn't designed to withstand large sustained differences in wheel between the front and rear shafts. IMHO, ANY time it happens, you're shortening its life. I would not recommend making a habit of it.

-Joe

[thread moved]

I hope people arent doing the BWM just for the sake of doing burnouts ;)

Back