Brush Guard / Bumper Question... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brush Guard / Bumper Question...

ExplorerX99

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
I have a 99 Explorer XLT and recently purchased a brush guard for it. The thing is, the brush guard is from a 97 Mountaineer. I thought it would fit, it didn't, I tried to force it and now I have a mess. I think it would be cheaper to keep the brush guard and buy a different bumper.

I want to get a bumper from a 97 Mountaineer but what would you guys do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure if there's one near you... but I know a 97 bumper at Cerifit is about $50, you just have to get it painted.

Since You can still drive your vehicle take your time and shop around and get it right. I personally like the 99 styling better. Make friends with the junk yard. If you do have to paint one it can be done with a good quality aerosol paint. I wish you had a picture of how it doesnt fit.

Question : I've seen some members with a body lift still rocking there brush guards, did you have to make custom brackets, or how do you keep them on??

you have to fab up an extension to make it fit with the lifting of the bumpers. bc ive been planning on getting a brush guard and soon after wanted the body lift. i remember searching through here and had the same question, and many just fabbed up an extension for the brush guard i.e. welding a piece of metal that'll fit. i too also have a 99 xlt and still searching for a guard. but i am going to wait to put it on till i do the body lift. i have a small welder and when i have the bumper brackets made up im just going to make up a bracket for the guard and put it all on at once.

A shop that does fabrication shouldn't have a problem doing this then?

i wouldnt think so. thats what theyre there for haha. more or less will take some scrap metal and cut something to fit and drill holes in it and weld it onto your guard mounts. that might get pricey too. let me know what you find out with a shop.

Back