Bubble gum on my leather, help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bubble gum on my leather, help!

Yep, i think some chick passed out in my back seat and she left her bright green gum on the middle one. Lots there, don't really know what to do. I'm sure its got to be easier to remove than on cloth, but on the other hand you can use many solutions on cloth whereas might ruin leather. I've tried just picking at it and the only thing good that happens is my fingers smell like wintergreen!

HELP!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe try vegetable oil

I have never had to try this, but I would wager on freezing the gum and then chipping it off. This can be very dangerous, because Ford's leather isn't of the highest quality and color can actually be removed from the leather (this happened with my old '96 XLT with a Willow Green leather interior).

You may also want to try heating the gum with a hairdryer. While its removal will no doubt be a pain, when it becomes malleable and squishy you should be able to pull most of it off. I suggest using tweezers for the little pieces and a toothpick (if you have perforated seat holes). Then, follow up with a very light wiping with Goo Gone or Peanut Butter. With either, have leather cleaner or water at the very least nearby. Both may spot the leather if left on the surface for too long.

Good luck.

Hmm, all very interesting. Thanks so far...

I believe WD-40 is supposed to cut gum well. But I don't know what it'll do to leather though. I could see it soaking into leather and spotting it. If you don't let it sit on there though it may be ok.

Peanut butter. Works every time.

Back