Bulldog remote start question..

gtrz

Reaction score
City, State
Wtlo, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
I purchased a Bulldog remote start and was wondering if it does
indeed make it easier to install with the optional bypass harness that you can buy. If it is a little easier and less invasive then I wouldn't mind spending a few more dollars. I have a '97 that doesn't have a key with a chip. Apparently on the Bulldog site they only list '98 and above for the harness but the '98 harness will work for the '97, yes? This is ONLY a start not keyless entry.
Thanks for any advice. btw I did search a little while for similar topics but if there is already a how to or similar thread I appologize.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On their site the wiring diagram is the same from 95 to 00, the only thing that I can think that might be different is the plugs. I installed my remote starter on my 2000 by soldering the wires into the harness.

Are you saying you soldered onto the add on harness or directly to the harness
on the X?

I installed a Bulldog a couple of weeks ago on my 97 Mountaineer. I know for my Mountaineer I needed the FD2 harness I believe. There was one harness for up to 97 and one for 98 and above. I think the harness fit both Mountaineer and Explorer. I pluged in the harness and only made 3 connections. One for the brake pedal and 2 others for the power locks because I don't have keyless entry. I had it installed and working in less than a half hour. That is from removing panels to putting everything back. I would purchase the harness if at all possible.

Harness or hardwire

GTRZ- I also purchased a Bulldog harness to try and "simplify" my remote start with keyless entry. However- after inspection I decided to install it "right" by soldering wires from remote start harness to X harness . If you take apart the ignition plug harness- you can actually remove wires from the ignition block and solder on starter harness and then re-insert into the ignition block, It's not for the timid though-if you think this might be beyond your ability- DO NOT try this at home !! I have done my share of starter & stereo installs and am also an electronic service tech ( 20 + years) so this wasn't to bad for me. Still- you have to take your time ( 1 wire at a time man !! ) So- recommend soldering and doing a thorough job- alotting more time for install. It will be worth it- trouble free and peace of mind. Incidentally- I did remove some of the bulldog harness to wire up auxillary feed for accessories so when I start the truck - all accessories can be turned on with no worry about overloads ( heater, radio, lights etc as required).
Think of it this way- you don't want your starter to fail or worse ... take your time and do it right, man .
Regards.

Back