Busted Harmonic Balancer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Busted Harmonic Balancer

GIJOE0916

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer
Hello everyone,
I am a new member. I am a 27 year veteran still on active duty, stationed at Fort Bragg, NC.
I am looking for advice on how to proceed with an issue that happened yesterday. While sitting at a traffic light I heard a big thump! The Explorer started shaking a bit and the serpentine belt started squealing. I immediately thought that it was the A/C compressor, but since it was dark I could not inspected well. This morning to my surprise I see half of the harmonic balancer laying just below it belongs! The truck is under warranty up to 100,000 miles for drivetrain. I wonder if this will be covered!

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

I have moved your thread to the 4th Gen Sub Forum for better exposure.

Be sure to check out the 4th Generation Sub-Forums:

Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers

Stock 2006 -2010 Ford Explorer Forum. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Modified 2006 - 2010 Explorers

Modified 2006 - 2010 Ford Explorer Forum. Aftermarket accessories and modifications. Bullbar, running boards, floor mats, cargo mat, DVD headrest, wheels, tires, stereo upgrade, headlights, mud flaps, lift kits, engine swap, transmission swap.

Good luck getting it sorted. :thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

Wouldn't hurt to call Ford and ask them. I wonder what caused the harmonic balancer to break like that?

Same thing happened to my 06 at 39k miles .. just out of warranty... cost m $600 to get new one... I heard there were enough complaints that Ford put out a service Bulletin.. but No recall!

Back