• Register Today It's free!

Busted radiator, Arr.. F**K

Aussie Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Western Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
I just got back from 4hrs of 4Wding, When I pulled up in the driveway there was some water dripping from underneath the car, I had had the A/C going but it was dripping from near the radiator, suer enough the front left lower control arm bottom hose and all down the side of the radiator was wet with coolant.

F**K!!!!!!

I know the plastic radiators do have a life span of around 9-Years give or take. Mine is going on 8 years now, The crack is where the top Radiator bracket is connected to the radiator has anybody else had there radiator crack around that aria.

What I am trying to figure out is, Is this a resalt of age or from the running ruff tracks over the last 2 years and all the vibration fatiguing the bracket causing it to crack where it is fused to the side of the radiator tank?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine didn't crack their. It cracked along the seam. The good news is that radiators are not very expensive, and are easy to install.

Maybe not in the US but a replacement radiator in Aus for an Explorer from Ford is $1100 yes that’s right $1100.

I ended up getting a aftermarket replacement, well the only one that Any radiator shop had listed for a Explorer in Australia any way, the only problem was on the Box it had Ford ranger and it’s a 1 Cor not a 2Cor like was in it originally :eek: .

I was assured that it was just as efficient as it had updated cooling fin design and the tank’s were the same size as my old 2Cor, any way I installed it and if fitted, I took it for a run today 300k round trip with some 4Wding and it keep’s it cool. The big test was I left it in 3Rd gear at 130kph engine revving at 4000RPM with the A/C on Max for 20k’s temp gauge didn’t move :thumbsup: .

Why can't you get your old one and try to fix it yourself. Seems to me if it's plastic that it would be fairly easy to fix? How about fiberglass resin and matting over the crack. And if it does work use it for a spare. Even if you had to crack open the radiator cap a little to ease up on the pressures it might just save your a$$ untill you make it back. I think its at least worth a try.

Glad you got it fixed. I never buy from the dealer for the same reason. My aftermarket unit was about $120 if I remember correctly.

You can get replacement tanks but nobody makes them for Explorers in Aus, not sure about over there.

Yes I could try a few different ways’ of fixing it including Fibreglass resin, but the Plastic tank’s only have a life of around 10 years and as mine is 8-years old now it’s getting up there age wise, when I go away I don’t have the room to take a second Radiator along, It’s in the back shed at the moment I will probably just chuck it out but.

For example a 4day 4WD trip= Swag (It’s like a big waterproof very durable sleeping bag), Clothes, tool’s, recovery gear, Cooking equipment and Eating stuff, Food, table & camp seat’s, Esky or Car fridge, Generator, anywhere between 20 To 80 Litres of fuel in Jerry can’s and up to 40Litres of water and BEER, So the truck fill’s up FARST, Even with 2 or more 4WD there is still very little room

It seems like i should start saving for alot of expensive spare parts for my beloved explorer... anyone is Australia got a aprox cost on their repairs for the year? i think i might have to budget more that $500 a year :) lol

As was already mentioned, the radiator is not going to be cheap from the dealer. Aftermarket units are cheap and plentiful state-side. Even with the duties, they should be pretty cheap to send from here. If you ever need parts, there may be ways we can get them to you.

-Joe

the body flexing can cause issues with the radiator . It gets pulled in all directions.
What condition are your body mounts in?

Frame flex = body twist.
The BII has seen it's share 284K miles, the body twist is pretty crazy, the windshield leaks after every install if I go hard wheeling and I have damaged a radiator because of it.

I am about to fix all that however :) A full cage and removing half the factory metal should fix that issue :)

gijoecam said:
As was already mentioned, the radiator is not going to be cheap from the dealer. Aftermarket units are cheap and plentiful state-side. Even with the duties, they should be pretty cheap to send from here. If you ever need parts, there may be ways we can get them to you.

-Joe
hi joe , i could do with steering exstension from the PA 883 , 3" body lift kit? dont need the kit just the steering exstension , any chance you could help me out? cant get one here in oz , unless i order one from the local 4x4 shop but it gunna cost me $450!!!!!!!! , just for the exstension! :confused:

I sense a US/Oz connection starting up here! Might be a worthy cause !

It not all bad Edward1985, In the last 50,000k’s all I have had to do apart from Oil changers is> Replaced thermostat 0 ring seal, Front pinion seal, Just about to do brake pads and 1 new radiator.

Extra stuff, buy choice not because it needed doing is, have done, Front and rear diff fluid, transmission fluid, K&N filter ($60 more than the ford unit but lasts like 500,000k’s longer),Hy-flow exhaust and some other small bit’s and pieces

The 140,000k will be the big one on that I will do, Brake pads and fluid, plugs and wires, T/case fluid, Transmission filter, Throttle body and intake clean and possibly heater hoses.

Yes Glacier that would be good, you guys get some good deals on parts the shipping would be the killer depending on weight and size but.

Hey the shipping gets high enough I might have to carry a suitcase and visit Australia! The saving in shipping costs might pay for the trip!

Extra stuff, buy choice not because it needed doing is, have done, Front and rear diff fluid, transmission fluid, .[/QUOTE]
hi Aussie Explorer , did you use mercon V or castrol dextron III , for your tranny fluid change? im tossing up between these two for when i do mine , mercon V im told is best to use but is very expensive and only comes in 1ltr tubs or sum sh#t like that! . local ford dealership say they use detron III cause it cheaper? another aussies opinion would be great on this cheerz.

Don’t use Dextron 3 It’s not approved for the transmission to my knowledge, yes you are right Mercron is only sold in 1 litre bottles by ford and it is stupidly overpriced around $200 for 10litres.

I used Penrite ATF Synthetic which meats Mercron V standards. It isn’t easy to get hold of as not many people stock it off the self, I got mine from an Automotive shop in Balcatta I think, can’t remember the name but, Auto One in Osborn park will order it in for you, or you can call Penrite on 1300 736 748 and they will tell you who they supply it to around Perth. You are looking at $130 for 12 litres of the stuff.

I would never use anything but the Manufactures approved fluid type in a Auto It’s just not worth the risk IMO.

thanks i needed a bit of backup on that one! i actually had an argument with the ford dealership in rockingham about this , when i told them that dextron III is a GM product made for holden gearboxes not ford, i wonder if the people taken their Xs there know that they putn dextron in their boxes??? Il never take mine there for any work thats for sure! cheerz mate :thumbsup:

The fact they are using Dextron at a ford dealership is a bit of a worry like you say it for GM boxes and I don’t know of any ford box that is meant to take dextron type fluid.

When have dealerships ever been worried about price?

Just looked at the photos of your explorer those 33’s make a big difference clearance wise.

ya they didnt mind chargin me $300 for the plastic fender on D\S passenger door yet they wanna skimp out on tranny fluid?? I will go with penrite aswell. yes the 33s make a huge diffence off road , the stock X height is just too low for my liking , especially if u wanna go dirt. with the stock 265s i had before the X struggled a little through boggy sand and mud , now it just eats everything up! can i see some piks of your rig?

Sorry don’t have an online photo account set up; Will get around to it one day.

I only have the odd digital photo most are on film as I have a good quality film camera so I tend to use it most of the time; I am going to convert some of my photo collection with some photos of the X in them onto CD shortly, when I do that will set up a online photo account and post a few photos.

Mine has 2-inch rased lovell springs and a TT up front, RANCHO RS5000 shocks, TJM Bull bar, Cibie Spot light’s, Smitty Built side bars, Uniden UHF and GSM phone kit, but only wearing 30-inch tyres on Explorer Alloy rims.

Wanted 31’s but at the time would have had to wait 5weeks for the next shipment of Cooper’s to come in. Didn’t think much of it at the time so just fitted the 30’s but now I want them to wear out so I can fit 31 or maybe 32’s.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back