• Register Today It's free!

Busted Tensioner

schlepper65

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeville, Minnesota USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XL
Hello/ I have a '97 Exploder XL 4x4 4DR with the 5-speed manual, and the other day after starting it up I heard a "clank" followed by a "thunk" and a "bang". After shutting it down I found Ford part # F77E-6B209-AA on the floor of my garage. Looks like the auto tensioner blasted off for some reason. Not being a mechanical person to fix it myself, am I safe driving this thing 3 miles to get it fixed? With this part off and the serpentine belt not working, that means no alternator and no power steering pump (and no water pump?); I dont want to risk overheating the engine with no water pump and I dont want to blow the seals of the steering rack trying to steer without the pump. Any thoughts?! Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

get it towed. you will either kill the battery or overheat it trying to drive there. if it was a couple of blocks, sure, i have done it, but not that far.

Hello/ I have a '97 Exploder XL 4x4 4DR with the 5-speed manual, and the other day after starting it up I heard a "clank" followed by a "thunk" and a "bang". After shutting it down I found Ford part # F77E-6B209-AA on the floor of my garage. Looks like the auto tensioner blasted off for some reason. Not being a mechanical person to fix it myself, am I safe driving this thing 3 miles to get it fixed? With this part off and the serpentine belt not working, that means no alternator and no power steering pump (and no water pump?); I dont want to risk overheating the engine with no water pump and I dont want to blow the seals of the steering rack trying to steer without the pump. Any thoughts?! Thanks!
This part is very easy to get to and to change, at least on my 96 4.0 OHV. Just take the intake tube off, and you will see it real easy.

Got the Explorer in to the shop; the belt had snapped so they replaced that and the belt tensioner. Runs fine now, but they also noted that my front cover is leaking more coolant than it has in the past and should be replaced. (this has been a "watch item" for me for a while now...) It isnt really dropping much of anything on the garage floor yet, but I do smell coolant at times when she is running. They want $1350 for a front cover and gasket.. I think I will be waiting a bit longer to get it fixed! :)

Got the Explorer in to the shop; the belt had snapped so they replaced that and the belt tensioner. Runs fine now, but they also noted that my front cover is leaking more coolant than it has in the past and should be replaced. (this has been a "watch item" for me for a while now...) It isnt really dropping much of anything on the garage floor yet, but I do smell coolant at times when she is running. They want $1350 for a front cover and gasket.. I think I will be waiting a bit longer to get it fixed! :)

That seems a little high? I had water pump on my 5.0 replaced for just under $500 about two years ago. Timing cover is only a few more bolts; not sure if anything more needs to be removed for access. Might want to get a second opinion.

They are prob quoting you that price because book time includes time to drop the oil pan. There is no need to drop the pan to replace the timing cover, even though thats how the "book" says to do it. I swapped out my timing chain in about 2 hours, and thats whats under the "front" cover.

Good info... thanks guys! I will definitely get a few more quotes on this one ..

Back