• Register Today It's free!

Buying a 2013 explorer sport

Dannyb123

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 explorer sport
I have found the perfect explorer sport, after 6 months of looking. Day before I went to put down payment, my wife see the special on cbs about the carbon monoxide/ rotten egg odor issue. Now she does not want the possibility of buying a car that could possibly have this issue, or in the future have this issue, and we have a car not drivable/sell-able. Car will be out of warranty in 4000miles. I could buy extended warranty.

Ive been trying to make my way through the 80 pages of the main thread. My questions: does the sport suffer from this affliction? Has anyone figured out and solved the issue. Should I pass on the car?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Danny.:wave:
There doesn't seem to be any reason why one Explorer has it and another doesn't. I doubt anyone can guaranty which vehicle will have the issue. One way to test it is to drive it hard and let the turbos kick in. Hard acceleration seems to be the major cause. You will then notice whether or not you can smell exhaust gases in the cabin. A sulphur smell is sometimes normal but it should dissipate very quickly. No one including Ford has figured this out yet as noted in the last page or two of the thread. You can see which vehicles have the problems by looking in the margin to see what the member is driving. I have owned a 2011 Limited and currently a 2017 Platinum and neither has had this issue.

Peter

That's very helpful peterk9. I was hoping someone would summarize that 89 page thread.

Thanks. I'm very torn because im in love with the Explorer sport. The cars that have issues, does it seem like those cars had issues from day one? Or are there many people that had no problems and then one day, the issue was there?
Welcome to the Forum Danny.:wave:
There doesn't seem to be any reason why one Explorer has it and another doesn't. I doubt anyone can guaranty which vehicle will have the issue. One way to test it is to drive it hard and let the turbos kick in. Hard acceleration seems to be the major cause. You will then notice whether or not you can smell exhaust gases in the cabin. A sulphur smell is sometimes normal but it should dissipate very quickly. No one including Ford has figured this out yet as noted in the last page or two of the thread. You can see which vehicles have the problems by looking in the margin to see what the member is driving. I have owned a 2011 Limited and currently a 2017 Platinum and neither has had this issue.

Peter

It seems most have had it from day 1 or within a few thousand miles. Drive it hard and see if you smell it. As in the main yhread, 450 complaints over 1.25 million explorers gives you a 0.003% chance of it being one.

That's the way the media reports things these days...

For ours, its all about the fuel you run. 91-93 octane and I do not notice any odor. 87-89 seems to present an odor from time to time. I know my wife filled up the truck when I catch the sulfur scent...

For ours, its all about the fuel you run. 91-93 octane and I do not notice any odor. 87-89 seems to present an odor from time to time. I know my wife filled up the truck when I catch the sulfur scent...
Welcome to the Forum Josh.:wave:
Since the amount of sulphur in the gasoline is not regulated, it can vary from brand to brand. I run regular and stick to one brand and no odour.

Peter

I had a 2011 ltd and it had it at times. The 2014 ltd never had it, know with the 2017 Platinum doesn't have it.
all used 87 octane .

Back