• Register Today It's free!

buying new...$$ question

oceanworker

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport 4.0
finally diggin a deep hole for my 91 explorer. Been in the dealers trying to determine a good price on a new one.
question 1: is there a good formula to use to determine a good price discounted from the MSRP. Ex. if the final MSRP is $25,000 what is a good price without leaving a lot of money on the table.
question 2: what price is the tax based on? is it figured on the final price or the price before rebates or on the listed MSRP.
Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

u need to email a guy on here whos the acct of the group, Gjarret i think,, he's the one who could help you more then likley w/ the number crunching on how they mark up and ect.
Look under the featured explore colum where it shows pics of explores, and he'll be the blue eddie b, ,, That's the only person on here that i've seen that would be mathmatically able to help!! But alot of people come on here so u might be able to get a better answer tonight.!

thanks. I got a lot of info too, by doing a search on this forum under "MSRP". It was very helpful.

Go to www.edmunds.com site and get the invoice price with all the options you want. There is a 3% holdback that the dealer makes from the invoice price. So you should be able to buy the X right around invoice or maybe 200 over. Also if there are any Ford rebates or incentives you should get those also. I paid $250 over invoice when I bought my X.

Good Luck,
Mikeh

I bought a 2004 Eddie Bauer 2 weeks ago. It MSRP'd for over $38,500. With rebates and dealer discounts, the final price was around $29,500. I qualified for 0% financing, so, I paid $32,500 and didn't take the $3,000 rebate. My monthly payments are about $10 less a month with the 0% financing.

You pay tax on the final amount. So, I paid tax on $32,500. If I had taken the $3,000 rebate and 4.5% financing, I would have paid tax on $29,500.

With tax, title and licensing, my total loan amount was over $35,000. I also got GAP insurance for $498.

or you could just ask here and a bunch of smart fellas will help you out!! What exactly is Gap Insurance,,, helps out w/ accendent or loss of a vehicle?? Did anyone buy the extended warrenty from Ford??

stephen knows a lot about this too

Man I want a new Explorer. I went to buy one and my final price with tax and all was going to be 33,000. I could not let go of the money and will have to wait for a good used one to come around. Congrats on the new EB and good luck to the new buyer.

I ended up leasing my 2004 XLT Sport Package 4x4 V6...I think it comes out to $28K if I buy it...I am leasing for 3 years at $335 a month for 45K mile lease...but I plan to buy and the buyout is $15,400 after 3 years. Unless a lemon I see this as a way to get into the car with a lower payment a month.

Then again I had rebates plus A-plan...but not as much in rebate as if you buy.

Plus I had a trade In...but I took the $8,500 for the trade-in in cash...that was a hard sell to them, they kept coming back a few times trying to change the amount to $7,200 then $7,500 and I stuck with what they said to begin with...then I decided to pull a switch and keep the 17" Cougar Rims with new tires and turn in the car with the 16" Cougar rims with used bald snow tires...LOL They never noticed as I turned the car in at night...lol Gave the 17" cougar rims to the fiancee who has a cougar and needed new rims.

With gas prices going high I am starting to wonder if I should of got a Civic...LOL

Hoffer has a good lead. When I went to buy a new X for $37850 I said "way too much" and they went right down to $33255. Then with rebates, it came to $29240. Ford is dying as a major player in the auto market. They will sell you what you want. Just wait and go to dealers and you will get the price you want (as long as they make a profit). My brother is a dealer and all american car dealers are feeling stress to sell cars. If your car still runs, you have the upper hand. Be patient and good luck!

GAP insurance is for if I total my truck. The insurance company would pay me whatever the wholesale value of the truck is when I total it. I might still owe A LOT more than what they give me on my loan. GAP insurance pays the difference between what my auto insurance pays and what I owe the bank.

I decided to get it because this happened to a friend of mine. He totalled his new car. After the insurance company paid, he still owed over $8,000 on his loan. It would suck to still be paying on a junked out car you don't even own anymore.

He was lucky because he got in an accident with someone and that person was at fault. He was able to sue him for the $8,000. If he had been in an accident by himself, he'd have to pay the $8,000 himself.

Back