• Register Today It's free!

Buzzing Sound From Speaker

cthacker1987

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2011 Explorer XLT and after about 50k it started making a buzzing noise from what seems to be the passenger side speaker. If I am driving on the highway it seems to get a higher pitch as speeds increase. It will also bounce on and off if I go over larger cracks or bumps. Thought it might be a ground wire issue or something along those lines. Anyone else had this issue and any luck fixing it. Getting ready to take a long road trip and would like to not hear it the whole way.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2011 Explorer XLT and after about 50k it started making a buzzing noise from what seems to be the passenger side speaker. If I am driving on the highway it seems to get a higher pitch as speeds increase. It will also bounce on and off if I go over larger cracks or bumps. Thought it might be a ground wire issue or something along those lines. Anyone else had this issue and any luck fixing it. Getting ready to take a long road trip and would like to not hear it the whole way.

Thanks.

Sounds like a ground issue. Can you provide a video?

I can try. Do you just want Video of the Noise I assume?

Yes please.

Also, there has been multiple accounts of the cowl vibrating on the bottom of the windshield. You can try using painters tape and tape down the cowl to the windshield and see if this stops it.

Another known buzzing issue has been the a pillar trim pieces (the glossy black pieces on the outside)

Is this the same noise, I am having similar issues

I am having the same issue. 2011 explorer, passenger side speaker and with 70k on it. Constant buzzing noise even with the radio off. Sounds like a definite grounding issue as it "follows" the rpm's of the engine. Very annoying. If anybody has any fixes, please let us know. I wish the speaker was easy to reach, but the entire door panel has to come off and thats ALOT of steps

I am having the same issue. 2011 explorer, passenger side speaker and with 70k on it. Constant buzzing noise even with the radio off. Sounds like a definite grounding issue as it "follows" the rpm's of the engine. Very annoying. If anybody has any fixes, please let us know. I wish the speaker was easy to reach, but the entire door panel has to come off and thats ALOT of steps

Getting to that speaker is not a fix. Some how the wiring to the speaker is receiving electrical pulses created by the engine.
That's If it goes away when the engine is not running & if with the radio on or off. I suspect there is a problem with My Ford Touch which is tied to the engine and radio and, lets say the tachometer display for instance. Gonna need someone who knows this system in and out.

Just fixed my buzzing noise. It’s the same exact problem you guys have been having. Once I figured out what it was it took me less than an hour to fix. It is a bad ground connection where the amp is for the two front speakers. It is located behind the passenger side inner rear quarter panel. It will take a little getting that giant panel off but it can be done. There are two screws in the back hatch area. Then you may need to take off the hatch scrape trim. Go to the rear passenger door and start pulling up the trim on the step plate, work your way back towards the hatch pulling the body darts. The ground is located rear of the amp. The body of the vehicle was painted then the ground was screwed in on top of the paint. This is a no no as any certified electrician like myself would know. Remove the ground screw and scrape the paint off and re attach the ground and it will %100 solve your problem!!!

Just fixed my buzzing noise. It’s the same exact problem you guys have been having. Once I figured out what it was it took me less than an hour to fix. It is a bad ground connection where the amp is for the two front speakers. It is located behind the passenger side inner rear quarter panel. It will take a little getting that giant panel off but it can be done. There are two screws in the back hatch area. Then you may need to take off the hatch scrape trim. Go to the rear passenger door and start pulling up the trim on the step plate, work your way back towards the hatch pulling the body darts. The ground is located rear of the amp. The body of the vehicle was painted then the ground was screwed in on top of the paint. This is a no no as any certified electrician like myself would know. Remove the ground screw and scrape the paint off and re attach the ground and it will %100 solve your problem!!!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Thanks for the tip. A picture or two of the area would be helpful.

Peter

How do I post a pic from iPhone , haven’t figured this out yet

How do I post a pic from iPhone , haven’t figured this out yet
Unless you want to take out a $20 Elite membership, you will have to link to a 3rd party hosting site. Not Photobucket though. With a membership you can post directly from your device.

Peter

BiffDiggs is correct, bad ground. Alternator and both passenger side window motors buzz through the drivers door speaker with radio off.
Instead of locating the offending ground, I made 2 bonding wires, ground off the paint, and reinstalled. Now there is less than 0.5 ohms between the body of the amp and the structure of the vehicle. 2000 miles have passed, and no buzz. Thanks BiffDiggs, your help was invaluable. I have pics if anyone wants them.

Welcome to the Forum Russ.:wave:

Peter

Can you please provide pictures? I am having the exact same problem with my 2012 Explorer. Has been to the dealer multiple times and they are unable to determine the cause and now want to replace the speaker. This started off and on about a year ago and now happens quite frequently....

Can you please provide pictures? I am having the exact same problem with my 2012 Explorer. Has been to the dealer multiple times and they are unable to determine the cause and now want to replace the speaker. This started off and on about a year ago and now happens quite frequently....
Welcome to the Forum Jason.:wave:
If your post is directed at BiffDiggs, fyi, the member was last active here a year ago (Oct. 10, 2017).

Peter

Thanks Peter. Russ522x also referenced photos. Sounds as if the ground to the amp is the answer just not sure how to get to it, other than it is behind right rear passenger seat. Also not sure where to put the bonding wires Russ522x referenced.

Hello Jason, I just tried to attach pics, let me know if that worked.
The key is to get the body of the amp grounded to the structure of the vehicle. The resistance measured with a multimeter should be around 5 ohms or less. Preferably much less.
IMG_3123.JPG
IMG_3122.JPG

Please notice in the picture with the red background (that's the tailgate of my pickup) that the black paint is removed from the two mount bolt holes on the right. And in the pic of it remounted in the Explorer that the bonding wires are now secured in those locations.
For location reference, that is the right aft passenger seatbelt that you see just forward of the amp.
If you need additional assistance, send your phone # and we can discuss.
Hope that helps.

Russ - Yes, the pictures are posted...AWESOME...thank you so much, visual really helps....Regarding the removal of molding, do I only need to get the inner quarter panel off from the hatch area or do I need to also remove molding from rear passenger door as well? Any special tools to remove the quarter panel? Thanks again!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No special tools are needed, but yes, some of the molding around the right rear passenger door must be removed as well. You are welcome and good luck!

Back