BW4405 Transfer Case H,L,N??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BW4405 Transfer Case H,L,N???

RickRickRick

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT
Hi!
1999 Explorer Borg Warner 4405 Transfer Case question.
(The dashboard selector reads: Auto-High-Low)

On the transfer case (under shift motor) are the letters "H-N-L"

I'm assuming then the motor can stop at any one of three positions. Is that correct? ..... or is it just two positions H and L ...... (fully clockwise and fully counter clockwise)?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think with a neutral or flat towing kit it will go into N...otherwise no.

Ok ... thanks!

I never use 4H or 4L, always keep it in AUTO mode.
The problem I think I'm having is the Hi-Low gear is walking into the sun gear while I'm driving and makes one big bang then kicks itself clear again. This happens at low speeds usually going up hill (3-4 times a day). I had removed the front drive shaft and unplugged the shift motor connector to take them out of the equation and the problem still exists.

I never worked on a transfer case before .... this will be my first time. I want to have some parts on hand before I remove and open this thing up.

I'm thinking I should have at least a new fork and Hi-Low gear before I attempt this.

Any other Ideas on this problem?

Thanks!

Is It possible to remove the sun gear altogether permanently (I never use 4-Low) ?

I wouldn't mind discarding the shift motor, shift fork and cam rod assembly if they are not needed as well.

Get the upgraded fork roller...I have had good results using one.

As a temporary fix, I removed the shift motor. I noticed I was able to turn the Hi-Lo cam shaft almost a quarter inch more towards "H". Leaving the shift motor off. I fixed the cam shaft to stay in this position with a piece of metal.

Problem gone! No more banging! The Hi-Lo gear must have been slopping around in there and trying to engage the Low range on the fly.

I'm guessing the plastic guides are gone on the shift fork or fork is broken for it not to retain the Hi-Low gear out of harm's way.

Your shift rail bores are worn. Its a very common problem with these transfer cases.

As a temporary fix, I removed the shift motor. I noticed I was able to turn the Hi-Lo cam shaft almost a quarter inch more towards "H". Leaving the shift motor off. I fixed the cam shaft to stay in this position with a piece of metal.

Problem gone! No more banging! The Hi-Lo gear must have been slopping around in there and trying to engage the Low range on the fly.

I'm guessing the plastic guides are gone on the shift fork or fork is broken for it not to retain the Hi-Low gear out of harm's way.
do you remember any driving conditions that suddenly lead to your transfer case malfunctioning?

Back