Cabin Light stays on. Not door ajar sensor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cabin Light stays on. Not door ajar sensor

david56780

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
Hi all

First post here.

My 2003 Explorer had a bad door ajar switch on the drivers door so I replaced that and the 'Door Ajar" doesnt come up unless a door is actually open and there is the beep when a door is opened.

However my cabin light stays on until the battery saver kicks in. I have checked for broken wires in all the door boots and cant find anything (other than a shoddily repaired broken speaker wire)

Any ideas?

Much appreciated

D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the dimmer switch for the dash lights pushed all the way up? That will turn all the dome lights on.

No. I've tried turning the dimmer switch all the way up and all the way down and it has no effect on the light

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

If rotating the dimmer switch has no effect on the interior lights, sounds like it could be a bad dimmer switch.

Do the lights go off when you start the truck?

You say you checked for broken/damaged wires. How well did you check? Broken/damaged wires can be difficult to find.

I should have been a bit clearer - the dimmer switch does dim the dash lights but doesnt affect the cabin light in the roof. Iirc I read something about a fuse?...but maybe that was for the 2nd gens.

The light doesnt go off when I start it or when locked/unlocked, only when the battery saver turns it off.

As for broken wires, I checked the boot for loose wires that I could pull out and also went in the panel and removed the speaker and gave all the wires a good tug especially the black ones I have read so much about. But everything was good and attached.
I guess I could have missed a wire, any tips on finding one thats broken?

Thanks!

Are you sure it's not the map lights that are on? They're controlled by the buttons on the light and not by the door switch or dimmer switch.

Come on mate, I may be new but I didn’t come down in the last shower of rain :D

No, its not the map lights. Ive been using them at night when I get in the truck. Ive had the main bulb out because I cant drive at night with that light on.

Come on mate, I may be new but I didn’t come down in the last shower of rain :D

No, its not the map lights. Ive been using them at night when I get in the truck. Ive had the main bulb out because I cant drive at night with that light on.

No harm intended. Just trying to cover all bases.

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081 A bright flashlight is very helpful!!

I'll check my wiring diagrams tonight when I get home, that should help you pinpoint the dome light wires.

No harm done boss. I really appreciate the help.

In the mean time Ill get reading through that write up and break out some new batteries for my flashlight and go through them all again.

Check your PM. I have sent diagrams!

I am a new forum member.could you also send me the wiring diagram? I am having the same problem.
Thanks

Back