• Register Today It's free!

Cabin Noise (Echo)

jcsavoie

Reaction score
City, State
Luling, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Limited
I have a 2020 Explorer Limited that we purchased Nov 19. I am wondering if anyone has noticed the echo in the cabin when driving under 35 mph? If so, any way to remedy this? It hurts my ears.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What Echo are you referring to, is it the echo of the passengers talking, music echo, road noise echo etc.

I have active noise cancellation on a equinox....drives me nuts I know that echo it's probably anc system acting up.

I have a 2020 Explorer Limited that we purchased Nov 19. I am wondering if anyone has noticed the echo in the cabin when driving under 35 mph? If so, any way to remedy this? It hurts my ears.
The only sound that drives me nuts is a base sound that some of us have described as a cardboard box full of rubber balls being shaken. At higher speeds, it's a constant base sound loud enough to keep everyone from carrying on a conversation. The consensus is that the sound is coming from a rattle in the front end but Ford (not the dealers) just ignores our complaints.

I have active noise cancellation on a equinox....drives me nuts I know that echo it's probably anc system acting up.
Active Noise Cancellation is only available on the Limited Hybrid.

Peter

Are you still following your thread? Any update?

Peter

I have something to say. Due to aging and health issues We traded in a 2016 Ram Laramie 2500 4x4 CTD (Cummins Turbo Diesel). With my def ears I could have a conversation with anyone in any seat position, front or back. Who would of thought that this 2020 Explorer Limited is the nosiest vehicle we have owned in the last 40 years. At highway speed, can't even have a conversation with the wife in the right seat. Thinking about installing noise canceling headsets and or some of those foam filled quiet tires. Then, how to fix the wind noise?

Well, folks, I've exhausted all possible remedies related to the noises in my 2020 Platinum. It has been in the shop for two weeks for three items. Harsh shifts, again, especially between first and second gears; the right rear window is inoperative, and I'm still plagued with the front end rumbles and rattles.

There were no transmission codes in OASIS so the tech reset the adaptive learning drive cycle. Again.

The window will continue to malfunction because there are no parts to fix it. They're back-ordered to late August.

I've complained about the front-end noises since late 2019. Every time I take in for any other issue or service I complain about the front-end issues. Each time I get it back the next day or two with the response that the noise is normal. This time the tech finally put some effort into isolating the problem. The dealer had the car for two weeks. So now I know for sure:

The tech's response..."Road test verified a noise at lower speeds. Unable to isolate source of noise. Checked OASIS, found no service messages related to concern. Submitted hotline contact, found previous vehicle contact message stating that the noise is normal operating characteristic and no further repairs should be attempted. Road test multiple similar vehicles and found same noise was present.

So, for now, we'll live with it until we can put enough cash together to dump one of the worst vehicles we've ever owned. I would strongly recommend that before buying any vehicle you insist on driving it for more than a test drive. It is my fault but we've owned numerous Ford SUVs dating back to a 69 Bronco and we've enjoyed every one of them. I read recently that Ford is highly dependent on ownership families buying only Ford and that they return time and again without ever questioning whether the vehicle they're buying is anything but Ford One. Ford can no longer live on reputation alone. I doubt we're the only Ford family planning to jump ship.

There is more to this than a terrible car. These issues squarely belong to Ford Motor Company. They've lost their Ford One quality. The dealer has been fair and done everything possible to satisfy us, but they can't do more than Ford will allow... or admit to.

My car is the same, loud rumbling at many speeds, many conditions. I suspect it has something to do with the FENG. In any case, I’m doing the research on another make to dump this thing ASAP.

FENG :dunno:

My car is the same, loud rumbling at many speeds, many conditions. I suspect it has something to do with the FENG. In any case, I’m doing the research on another make to dump this thing ASAP.
Everyone that comments please specify what year and model Explorer you own. Many problem with the '20 model year were corrected for '21.

Everyone that comments please specify what year and model Explorer you own. Many problem with the '20 model year were corrected for '21.
That info should be in their profile in the margin. That is why I keep sending PM's to those that don't enter it.

Peter

Fake Engine Noise. It is amplified through the speaker.

Fake Engine Noise. It is amplified through the speaker.
Thank you. Fake engine noise is only available on the ST I believe and only in Sport mode. It can be disabled with FORScan.

Peter

Yeah I wonder if ford is using different materials on the base and limited. We have a sport appearance packed xlt and it is wisper quiet.

Our 2021 XLT Sport Package is super smooth and quiet Too

Thank you. Fake engine noise is only available on the ST I believe and only in Sport mode. It can be disabled with FORScan.

Peter
Also in Platinum, but that drivetrain is essentially the same as the ST (tuning aside).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back