How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY

I ordered from a website in Canada called lightdepot.ca and also a couple bulbs off eBay. From lightdepot I ordered 2 X 9-LED White SMD Car Wedge Bulbs, 6 X 5-LED White SMD Car Wedge bulbs and 2 x Super Bright 31mm 6-LED Festoon bulbs.
From eBay I ordered 2x T5 74 5-SMD SMT LED White car bulb (item number 111087406387) and 7440 992A W21W White Cree Q5 LED Bulbs 7W Backup Reverse Bulbs (item number 271257647532).

This was total about $100. It should be enough to do the interior lights (2x maps, 2x second row, 2x vanity and 1x glove box), 2x license plate lamps and 2x reverse lamps and have one wedge bulb left over.

Still haven't installed as of today, but hopefully this weekend. Looking at the festoon bulbs for the puddle lights, I am a little worried that they wont fit in the reflector. 6-LED panel is quite large on the festoon. The little T5 bulbs for the vanity lights in the visor are stupid bright when hooked up to 12v source. hopefully they are dimmer when they go in the housing in the visor. I am not sure i will attempt the third row LED conversion soon. Wife is mad enough I'm messing with her ride as it is! would hate to break something and get the "I told you so" talk.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Replaced the front map lights, glovebox light and 2nd row lights with red LED's from Amazon. Total spent - $6.29 for 5 bulbs- - All work perfect - - No extended stay on from the rear light or flickering. Still looking for someone to do the 3rd row light if anyone wants to make a few $$$

Anyone willing to do the 3rd row light for me? I would rather not have to buy a solder gun, etc for this one time. I will pay you for your time, I can send the 3rd row housing to you and pay return shipping also.

I'm guessing the cost of a soldering iron and solder at Radio Shack would be less than the cost of shipping the unit back and forth. Let alone also paying for someone's time.

5-Piece soldering iron

Has anyone replaced the rear lower cargo light on the left side?--It is not like the other 194 bulbs.

Yes, I have. I will open mine back up this weekend and look at which bulb I used and let you know.

Did my vanity mirrors. Used the Wedge T10 5050 5-SMD bulb with the base removed.
Had to solder it to existing wires after cutting out the original bulb but if fit perfectly.

IMG_0582_zps64a74902.jpg

Here's a guide on how to get to the bulb:
http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Ford-Escape-Vanity-Mirror-Light-Bulb-Replacement-Guide/

I'm confussed on the vanity led swap. Some say the #74 mini wedge fits the socket and some say it is not replaceable and must be cut out and replacement soldered in. Any feedback is appreciated.

Mine pulled right out also.... No cutting required

Thanks for the replies :thumbsup:, mine looks like the one Breshi describes and isn't cooperating. I'll have to try it again. Superbrightlite sells a socket for the #74 bulb I can splice in if I get a little to forceful this time :D

There is NO need to cut and splice! THat bulb may seem like it doesn't come out, but trust me it does, you're just giving up too easily.

take the light/mirror assembly off the visor, so you can pop the bulb housing off. Then use clear packing tape to slip tape around thebulb to hold it, and popit out. Works easier than my original method of a dental pick to pry the bulb out.

Harley is spot on about using tape to remove the bulb, and if the LED goes bad much quicker to replace than solder in a new one. Clean looking install though breshi

I can't image that small mini wedge giving off that much light. it's so small. The T10 I used gives off a good amount. thanks tinner. gotta use the heatshrink.

Ha!! got it this time. The tape trick works great, and the little wedge bulb is plenty bright. :salute: Thanks for all your help.

Okay, all interior is done except 2nd and third row lights. So for those of us with "non moon roof" it looks like putting a third row light in place of the 2nd row light will fix the problems people are having, is that correct. Those two look out of place compared to the led's so I'm eager to get them changed.:)

I can't image that small mini wedge giving off that much light. it's so small. The T10 I used gives off a good amount. thanks tinner. gotta use the heatshrink.

there's a few styles of those T5 bulbs that fit, some brighter than others. But the ones I have now are so friggin bright I may change them out to dimmer ones. THey're so bright it's almost too bright to use at night because you're blinded by the LED trying to look into the mirror lol

there's a few styles of those T5 bulbs that fit, some brighter than others. But the ones I have now are so friggin bright I may change them out to dimmer ones. THey're so bright it's almost too bright to use at night because you're blinded by the LED trying to look into the mirror lol

I guess the ones I have aren't that bright. They are cheapies. They are brighter than the original bulbs though and look a whole lot better.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same problem as Harley does. Try cutting a piece of wax paper to fit inside the lens,you won't see it and it does dim the LED to you don't need to wear sunglasses to look in the mirror at night. The wax paper worked for me and I didn't have to experiment with different LEDs. Just a suggestion.

Back