• Register Today It's free!

Caliper Bolt

nugget68

Reaction score
City, State
Eastern KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
Hey all, I have a 2004 explorer and lost a caliper bolt off the front drivers side. Ford wants $12 for one. I have a cheap bolt from advance auto in it right now, but I dont think it is hardened or anything. Anyone out there have suggestions or a salvage explorer with this bolt that I can buy. I find myself having a hard time paying $12 for a 25 cent bolt...Thanks in advance!
Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its supposed to be one use, with loctite already on, i thought they where tappered threads but i'm not sure. You could look for a Grade 8 but that would be steel and the front arm is Aluminum. If your doing it yourself and already saved some money, i wouldn't mess around. . .imho.

Wow...I guess that wasnt such a bad deal through for then...I guess I will go ahead and order it...

Did you compare the price with Rock Auto or Fast Parts Network?
Its a little cheaper on Rock Auto, but I would really rather see it before I order it just to make sure I am getting the right one. I called back our Ford dealer and its $9.88, not 12 like they told me before, apparently they looked at the wrong bolt, another reason I would like to see it before I buy it so i can compare. Rock auto has it for $6.32, so not that big a difference. However, I do need to get my parking brake fixed (shoe fell off) and Rock auto is significantly cheaper than Ford. Anyone know what size the big bolt is on the back that needs to be removed to get the rotor off?

Ryan: Do you have an "O'Reilly's Auto Parts" nearby? I just went throught the same thing (lost 1 bolt). I didn't like Ford's price either. O'Reilly's sells a "kit" of 2 bolts plus 2 "slider pins". If I remember, the price for the entire kit was around $12.

Ryan: Do you have an "O'Reilly's Auto Parts" nearby? I just went throught the same thing (lost 1 bolt). I didn't like Ford's price either. O'Reilly's sells a "kit" of 2 bolts plus 2 "slider pins". If I remember, the price for the entire kit was around $12.
no O'Reilly's here. We have Napa, Advance, and Auto Zone soon to be open...

Funny, I did my brakes last Tuesday and was missing the drivers side lower caliper bolt--I thought the pads were worn , but the noise was the caliper rubbing on the rim when I applied thre brakes--I got a replacement bolt at Lowe's--The one by me has a pretty good hardware selection--.82 cents--

Funny, I did my brakes last Tuesday and was missing the drivers side lower caliper bolt--I thought the pads were worn , but the noise was the caliper rubbing on the rim when I applied thre brakes--I got a replacement bolt at Lowe's--The one by me has a pretty good hardware selection--.82 cents--
I hope you either 1) used a good lock washer or 2) used some locktite on that bolt (AND - hopefully it is a good HARD bolt).

Scary that there was a thread on this I was just driving home from ribfest by my house and the brakinf sounded weird took off the front driver side tire and sure enough the upper caliper bolt is missing. Is it simple enough to go to Ford pick up the bolt and bolt it on myself? I have to do this tomorrow hopefully someone can chime in tonight. I have some experience doing my own fliud changes and I have replaced pads on my Jeep. This looks like a no brainer but it's the wife's truck so I want to make sure I am doing this right. Thanks guys.

That same thing happened to me a few weeks back. They sell them in advance auto parts for around $10. You can just put one in your driveway. Make sure you torque it down correctly.

Thanks I will be doing that for sure.

When you say caliper bolt, do you mean one of the bolts that holds the piston/pad assembly, or one of the larger bolts that holds the entire caliper to the hub?

If it was one of the larger bolts, do yourself a favor and go to a dealer and the correct bolt. Those bolts are what transfer all of the braking force to the disc.

I fear that you've installed a crappy piece of soft metal that is not designed nor capable of performing its function. It will fatigue over time and eventually break. In addition, the heat generated by the brakes will change its properties, and probably make it brittle.

When you say caliper bolt, do you mean one of the bolts that holds the piston/pad assembly, or one of the larger bolts that holds the entire caliper to the hub?

If it was one of the larger bolts, do yourself a favor and go to a dealer and the correct bolt. Those bolts are what transfer all of the braking force to the disc.

I fear that you've installed a crappy piece of soft metal that is not designed nor capable of performing its function. It will fatigue over time and eventually break. In addition, the heat generated by the brakes will change its properties, and probably make it brittle.

Considering that post is 4 years old, let's hope he's okay. :)

But you are correct, using a hardware store bolt for a caliper mounting is a TERRIBLE idea. Not worth risking lives to save $10. Think about it, even the original correctly designed bolt failed. What chance does the hardware store junk have?

Actually it's Homer Simpson, not Bart.

And it would be DOH!

Ok, that'll do it. I give up on today and now will retire to bed and start over tomorrow.

Yes, its one of those days.

Picked up the OEM bolt(s) comes with 2 and swapped the old one and put both new ones on. Torqued it down to 85ft lb and all is well. Double check the other side to make sure and they were nice and tight. When it comes to brakes though I would only by OEM or equivilant. Brakes are to important to cheap out on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back