Caliper Knocking... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Caliper Knocking...

Yes i would love to upgrade to rear disks.

Right now got much more pressing problems though :thumbdwn:

Brakes are one issue. :fire:

my ENTIRE steering system needs to be replaced/rebuilt. :eek: (pump bad, gear leaking, tie-rod ends all worn, steering shaft needs to be replaced to accomindate steering angle obtained from body lift) the works :rolleyes: .

then to top it off the motor is going to need to be popped open soon. Those pushrods and rockerarms knockin around dont sound good.

and i still gotta do the gears from the front end! hah

This thing needs some WORK! i guess at 180k miles, and being the third owner you can't expect anything less.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ahhhh so you are just getting started then :)
Wait till you have like 4 original parts left under the hood, in the suspension, and the interior, total.
carpet, metal underdash, fan shroud, and the little plastic wiring cover found ont he 88 BII.

OH wait I ripped out the carpet....okay 3 parts.

HAHA yes the fun is just got going

Once i get the A/C finished (which is my planned, Last job for the current 4.0 hhehe) ill be looking at new carpet, seats, dash and what not

then a NICE PRETTy paintjob to cover up all those scratches and dents i put in it

then i can call it done for about 6 months till i feel tHA NEED to start transforming Jenna into something else.

Okay!

Turns out the casting on one of my new calipers was wrong, the bleeder valve wouldnt close all the way. So i got a new caliper... and Both lights (break and RABS) went off. and the braking power has been restored to 100%

But the damn knocking is still there? I cant make the noise with the car off anymore, i guess now that the system has adaquete pressure. And the noise doesnt appear nearly as much as it was before... but its still there

The ABS Booster is the black cylinder looking thing behind the master cylinder isnt it? im still having problems with the RABS LOCKING UP before anything so i plan on removing it, and when i did i was going to replace the booster and the Master cylinder if they arrent too expensive... anyone got any ideas?

the booster is the vacuum booster for the braking system, not for the ABS.

It uses engine manifold vacuum to amplify the power you generate pushing the pedal with your foot, that is all it does.

Removing the RABS is a good idea.

Glad you found your problem.

Again check the torque on your sway bar bolts, and check the coil spring is seated, shock is tight.

The TTB makes noises, thats just the nature of a beamed truck.

410Fortune said:
the booster is the vacuum booster for the braking system, not for the ABS.

It uses engine manifold vacuum to amplify the power you generate pushing the pedal with your foot, that is all it does.

Removing the RABS is a good idea.

Glad you found your problem.

Again check the torque on your sway bar bolts, and check the coil spring is seated, shock is tight.

The TTB makes noises, thats just the nature of a beamed truck.

oh yeah, TTB is very noisey, BUT damn its smooth no matter how much noise it makes. So that booser thing is just a large camber full of vaccume huh? hrm... it is that black cylinder thing correct? i do believe it has a vaccume hose up to it.

I guess im going to Remove RABS if it doesnt solve my problem i look towards inespecting/replacing the booster/MC

thanks 410

it is a big canister with a large rubber bladder/diaphram.

welp, know what issue was?

Brake clips. i never used/reinstalled these parts when i did my pads in the past, and i guess the Bendix pads i usually use are 'built' differently. I used Durlast pads this time around and i guess they are like .030" smaller then other brands. Therefore the back pads (up against the piston) were moving ever so slightly when i hit the brakes, hit bumps...ect...

With the clips in there the Pad has something to press against when it wants to move. No more noise.

WOW, freggin 1 dollar part saved my life. haha

Oh man the clips? You should know better haha. Well good to see you found out what it was.

This is one of those good threads...I could read about brakes all day...I should get better with brakes, I know a lot from experience but I bet if I took a class on it I would really make it easy on myself...

If I ever get around to removing the ABS I know all the knowledge I can get will come in handy...

Haha yeah I should of. It was one of those things that I just cancelled out because I never thought it was necessary, until now haha.

Yeah i really spilled 410's mind all over this thread... stuck a tap on it and poured brains everywhere

My '91 has done it since I bought it ( used).

It is in the braking. Tiny clunk feels like the caliper shifts a bit. My guess is it's just that. Those Pins that you tap in to hold the Caliper to it's Mount do not fit in all that tight considering the weight of stopping a truck, not to mention the rubber inside thenm can give a little..
My front end is 'tight' and I still have that noise. Since I bought this vehicle I've done needed front end work and brake work, I now have manual Hubs too, I half thought that maybe it was something with the Auto's slapping. nope.

Those slide pins you can replace for cheap. If yours are stock I would recommend just replacing those. New Calipers are not necessary, unless yours are sticking.

Yep it was those brake clips

It’s a slight knock/tap, kind of high pitched and MEGA annoying.

Any other pads I've used didn’t make this noise (WEAREVER, BENDIX, from cheap to expensive), that’s simply why I never re-used those things. I always figured they just made noise, (scrapping noises against the rotor) when the pads got to low.

I think I would know if the pad ever got low enough before that skinny piece of metal got to ruin my rotors haha. I guess it has other purposes.

Tony H said:
My '91 has done it since I bought it ( used).

It is in the braking. Tiny clunk feels like the caliper shifts a bit. My guess is it's just that.

Don't rule out the good ol radius arm bushings. They can clunk on braking and you'd swear it was in the brakes. Even new bushings can clunk if they are cheap bushings. Fact is, the front ends on our trucks are noisy, no matter what.

I did the radius arm too. I used the Poly's. The clunk remains.

Some polys will clunk anyway. One time I put on a set of McQuay-Norris polys and they always clunked.

I recently switched to Energy Suspension bushings and there is no clunk.

woo hoo

i got the mysterious death clunk last night on my adventure to meijer to get all the fried junk food i could get and beer. It truely scared the turds right out of me, i'm trying to get myself mentally prepared for ripping the front end of this thing into pieces and putting it back together w/new ones.

Back