Cam Phaser or Timing Chain Tensioner | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cam Phaser or Timing Chain Tensioner

Just to finish this topic in case it helps someone else...

Replacing the timing chains, guides, tensioners and tensioner arms fixed the noise at idle. Also, I rechecked my oil pressure and I'm getting about 70psi at 2000rpm and 30psi at idle.

So that original shop that did all the damage was just full of crap. Oh well!

Glad to have the truck running great again.

My 06 is doing the exact same thing. How much did it cost and what was involved?

My 06 is doing the exact same thing. How much did it cost and what was involved?

Total cost was $2,122.38. The shop had to replace all the guides both tensioners and the chains. They also had to drop the oil pan and clean it out since there were chunks of timing chain down in the pan. It was quite a bit of work and took them 3 days to complete. Some of the delay was due to waiting for parts to arrive.

Definitely call around and get multiple quotes. I had some double what I paid and that didn't include dropping and cleaning out the oil pan.

Also, unless your timing guides only broke around the bolt (unlikely) factor in the cost of dropping the oil pan. No sense in performing the repair then having a piece of old timing guide get jammed in the oil intake and drop the oil pressure. You'll be doing the repair again in the near future.

Back