• Register Today It's free!

Cam Position sensor

WolfPack

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Baure V6
Anyone have a picture or can describe the location of the Cam Position Sensor in a '98 sohc motor.

Want to replace it but the number of sensors on the engine is confusing me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the SOHC has two
It has one mounted on the back of the engine, lower intake manifold, very back of the enegine in the center, it also has a real cam position sensor mounted on top of the d side valve cover

Hmm, I am confused 410, isn't the one at the back the Crank Sensor?

From the manuals I have read and parts catalogs it shows only one Cam Position sensor for the '98 V6 Sohc.

Are there really two?

My experience is with a 2004 SOHC engine and yes there are two.
The crank pos sensor is on the front of the engine, it is a stator ring mounted on the crankshaft pulley & balancer.
The cam sensor in the sohc on the back of the engine is a left over from the OHV, the SOHC has a "dummy" cam in the block where the OHV pushrod cam used to be, as far as we can figure it is there to drive the oil pump. The cam sensor is ONLY used during start up, at leas the one on the back of the engine is, I cannot say about the valve cover mounted sensor.

Maybe some SOHC experts will chime in here? I have only tuned up SOHC's and helped a friend stuff one in his 93 truck and wire it up...so details may be fuzzy, but I can tell you there are two cam sensors on the 04 block so I assume it never went away since 1994 when all 4.0L's got them

I am looking for the basic position Sensor that mounts on top of the Cylinder head, it is just a sensor that sends cam position to the ECM.

It is a relatively inexpensive part at $32

Any help?

Back