• Register Today It's free!

Cam Replacment

Igoteyedeas

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

two cams, one on top of each valvetrain under the valve cover.
There is also a "dummy" cam inside the block where the OHV cam used to be, but it is only used to drive the oil pump, it serves no function in the SOHC so you dont need to mess with it.

That comp.cam is for an OHV engine. To replace your OHC's requires engine removal.

I think performance grinds for your SOHC will be custom, and I also think that with most trucks engine removal is the easiest way to get the cam out of the front of the block.

On the SOHC however the cams are under the valve covers, couldnt one leave the engine in place and get at them???

The ford service manual I have is from 00-04 so not sure if you have the same exact engine.

I looked it up & looks like you dont have to pull the engine. You remove the valve covers, camshaft roller followers & the hydraulic camshaft tensioner (in that order). There will be a bolt for the camshaft sprocket (for the timing chain) & then just have the bolts left for the camshaft itself & the cam will just lift out.

Actually looks fairly easy compared to when I did the cam in my 302.

btw, if you want it I can probly make a copy of the pages & send them to ya.

Its probably one of those things that I'd get done at a shop but its good to know what I'd be lookin at. So do they make any performance cams for the SOHC or is my best bet just to get it grinded? Thanks for all the info guys.

Back