Camry Start Troubles! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Camry Start Troubles!

Sojourner

Reaction score
City, State
Out in the boonies, California (Homeland/Romoland)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Toyota Camry
Hi all!
I don't usually post in the vehicle area here but I just wanted to ask some advice of all the ace mechanics out there! (I've noticed there are tons of guys/gals here who are quite knowledgeable when it comes to car maintenance and I really enjoy reading your posts!) ;)
Recently, I had a problem with my Toyota Camry (2000) and I am curious to see if I might have been ripped off by the auto shop. I was having difficulty getting the car started in the mornings. When I turned the key in the ignition at first, there was nothing. After a couple more tries, I would get a fast clicking noise. A couple more tries and it would start trying to turn over until it would finally start up. After that, the car would go all day long without having problems starting up. It was just in the mornings or when it sat for several hours without being started. Now, there were NO other electrical problems as far as the lights dimming or anything like that so I am not sure what this all meant. I used to be really good with cars but these newer models are a bit more complicated than what I've worked on before.
Anyway, I took it to a local shop and the guy said it was the alternator. He replaced that, did an oil change and I drove the car around a bit, then came home. The next morning.... the exact same symptoms as before. I took it back and this time he said the battery was bad, on top of the previous alternator problem (which was another $70 on top of the $285 I spent the day before). Once the new battery was in place, everything was fine. My question would be this.... is it possible that the problem all along was just my battery? The battery was six years old by this time and I know that is what the life expectancy is on these new ones. I need to know if I got ripped off by this guy so I don't go back to him in the future. I don't like spending my money needlessly or being treated like I don't know anything about cars just because I am a woman! (It has happened before and that is why I started teaching myself a few things about cars!) :(
Any help/advice would be much appreciated, guys/gals!

Thanks so much (in advance)!
Sojourner :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is possible that the alternator was bad, and that in turn caused the battery to go bad.

Its also possible that the alternator was ok, but the battery was bad.

Did the mechanic do any tests on the alternator before he replaced it? He may have done a voltage output test that told him that the alternator wasn't maintaining the charge on the battery.

I wouldn't feel bad about replacing a 6 yr old battery; that is actually pretty good battery life in my experience.

I vote that the alternator was fine. Sounds like the battery was not holding a good charge. The fast clicking sounds like a weak battery also.

dogfriend said:
It is possible that the alternator was bad, and that in turn caused the battery to go bad.

Its also possible that the alternator was ok, but the battery was bad.

Did the mechanic do any tests on the alternator before he replaced it? He may have done a voltage output test that told him that the alternator wasn't maintaining the charge on the battery.

I wouldn't feel bad about replacing a 6 yr old battery; that is actually pretty good battery life in my experience.

Thanks, Dogfriend (and toypaseo)! I appreciate the feedback.
Yes, he did do a voltage test and the output was below 14 (about 13.8 to 13.9), so he said it was the alternator. Once he replaced the alternator, he charged up the battery and it ran fine (the voltage was over 14) but the next morning, it was back to the same thing. It's no big deal because it is running fine now and the alternator probably would have needed replacing eventually anyway (the engine has over 114,000 miles on it). I just want to be sure that I am not getting ripped off and this is the best place to find answers! ;)

for more questions, ToyotaNation is a good place

I am on there, but with a different name

toypaseo said:
for more questions, ToyotaNation is a good place

I am on there, but with a different name

Thanks so much! I will check them out! :)

Back