Camshaft sensor different? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Camshaft sensor different?

Y pipes need to be re-torqued a time or two after some heat cycles and driving the truck, the frame and body twist, the exhaust gets loose... its normal to have to re-torque the manifolds and Y pipes, I have even had to drop the Y pipe (loosen all 4 bolts) and re- torque slowly and evenly in order to get a seal....

Sounds like its clearing up! Possibly just bad gas, varnish in the tank, etc

keep us posted! I know you went through some serious headaches with this project, something I am used too... yet I keep coming back for more!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just got done tightening the exaust. now it sounds better seems like everytime a start it it get a little better.

No major headaches exactly. I expected there to be some problems and all in all it has been better than I expected.

Looks like I might have a new hobby.

Thanks all the help, I couldn't have do it without you!:thumbsup:

no problem-o

this is an expensive hobby I swapped my first 4.0L about 13 years ago, I think that was about 20 engines ago now :)

I went to auto zone to ge the codes checked and most of pointed to the EGR.

I couldn't get the egr off the tube so I went to remove the tube. Some how I twisted the crap out it so it's trash.

The tube on the original engine is bent so it doesn't fit right(slightly out of whack). Should I try to bend it strait to get it to line up?

could a bad EGR be the culprit to the idle problem?

Well I got it on. I think wasn't bent just mechanic error:D

It still isn't idling right. I put a can of sea foam it to try to clean it out a bit.

new EGR tube is like $20 at the dealer, just FYI

and yes EGR will effect idle

what was the code(s)?

I don't remember all the one s I had but after replacing the EGR the only code I got was for the dpfe sensor wich I only got aftter it died.

I guess there was an idiot move on my part.

I pulled the intake to see if the orings might be bad an realized the weren't there.

They were stuck to the paper gasket on the old motor.

I put them back in (no paper gasket) and cleaned the fuel supply manifold and reseated it and it now it idles a lot better in P & N but I get a spark knock when in gear.

I cleaned the MAF and the IAC, seemed to smooth out slightly but that's it.

Back