Can any other engines be used with 5R55E? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can any other engines be used with 5R55E?

newstylecustoms

Reaction score
City, State
Clayton, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
199 Explorer Sport
I have searched on not found any conclusive info. I think my 4.0 SOHC is on its last leg, not that high of mileage (135000) but it has a vibration that I can only assume is timing chain related. If I pull this engine I don't know that I want to put the same back in. Will any other bell housings fit this tranny, is the bell housing really removable? I know this seems strange but I have been thinking of swapping in a 2.3 if possible maybe get slightly better mileage. A small diesel would be great but very expensive.

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

moped performance

I suspect that swapping your SOHC V6 (205 BHP) with a 2.3 liter engine would result in acceleration and speed performance comparable to driving a moped.

The 4.0L OHV V6 (150 BHP) is compatible with the 5R55E transmission.

I understand that it would not be a great performer, I was thinking more along the lines of a 2.3T somewhere around 200 HP. My main question is can the bell housing be removed and replaced with a different one?

When you say "Vibration" do you mean shaking, or do you mean rattling? I would only be worried about your timing chains if they is an actual rattle, although until they are replaced with upgraded parts they are most likely going to break in the future.

It is more like a growling noise starting at 2500 RPM, it does have severe rattle at startup but that dies off when oil pressure builds. I have not pulled the valve covers to check the guides.

Swap in a 5.0 and put a 4wd transfer case on it. You will get better fuel economy than your 4wd 4.0, and an engine that is a little more reliable than the SOHC 4.0.

If you are talking about putting in an older OHV 2.3 from an RBV, it will struggle to pull you down the highway or even down the road without having to push harder on the noise pedal and make it downshift. They were slugs in the rangers they came in, and your explorer weighs right about a ton more. You would probably lose fuel economy. If you are talking about a newer duratec, with a little tuning, it should get better fuel economy, and a turbo would pull it up to speed, and you could match it with the tranny that it bolts to in the ranger or any other tranny that bolts to a modular engine or duratec. But, you would be spending as much on that kind of swap as you would putting a 4bt cummins in. The thing is, a 4bt can get 30mpg and make more torque than you know what to do with, so you would be money ahead going that direction. I've looked into the cost and feasibility of the duratec swap quite a bit, since I had been considering doing it to a first or second gen.

The point of this thread was to see if I could utilize my existing tranny and transfer case (1354M). I am not opposed to a 5.0 but I don't want to (ie can't afford) buy an engine, tranny and tcase.

I would love a 4bt but looks like about $3000 minimum for that swap.

The 5r55e is just an updated a4ld (for the most part). With the right bellhousing it can be adapted to pretty much any RBV engine.

The bigger problem would be controlling it. It relies on a computer for pretty much everything it does.

If you want to do a motor swap, get a trans that works with the engine you want. Dont limit your selection based on what trans you have.

Edit... $3000 for a 4bt swap. It's getting hard to even find a good running 4bt at that price.

Sam baylie

Im vetting ready to do a motor swap from a 4.0 to a 5.0. So what am i going to need. I have two ford explores with 5.0 in them and a ford explorer sports trac that has the 4.0. I want to put the 5.0 in the sports trac. The two explorers or ccomplet as a donner car.do u think it will work. I have swapped out truck motors and it is a bear but it works.i mead straight trucks with cat motors.

"The 5r55e is just an updated a4ld (for the most part). With the right bellhousing it can be adapted to pretty much any RBV engine. "

WHAT??!?!?!?!?!

The 5r may bolt up to a 2.8, 2.9, 4.0L OHV and a 4.0L SOHC but you cannot change bellhousings on this model.........
The 5r55e is a 4 speed computer controlled automatic that shares a bellhousing bolt pattern with the cologne V6 engines, but it requires a computer or an aftermarket controller to function properly as a 5 speed

No a 2.3L 4 cyl will not bolt up to your V6 5r trans, no you cannot add a 4 Cyl bellhousing to make it this way

Yes I have a 2001 3.0 and I'm running a 5r55e in place of the 5r44e so yes it can be done
"The 5r55e is just an updated a4ld (for the most part). With the right bellhousing it can be adapted to pretty much any RBV engine. "

WHAT??!?!?!?!?!

The 5r may bolt up to a 2.8, 2.9, 4.0L OHV and a 4.0L SOHC but you cannot change bellhousings on this model.........
The 5r55e is a 4 speed computer controlled automatic that shares a bellhousing bolt pattern with the cologne V6 engines, but it requires a computer or an aftermarket controller to function properly as a 5 speed

No a 2.3L 4 cyl will not bolt up to your V6 5r trans, no you cannot add a 4 Cyl bellhousing to make it this way

Yes I have a 2001 3.0 and I'm running a 5r55e in place of the 5r44e so yes it can be done
He never mentioned the 3.0. If I was gonna swap out an engine it certainly wouldn’t be for a 3.0.

He never mentioned the 3.0. If I was gonna swap out an engine it certainly wouldn’t be for a 3.0.
Did anyone notice I posted this in 2012? That explorer is long gone now, the 3.0 is a gutless low revving engine too.

Back