• Register Today It's free!

Can I buy directly over the net

87yj

Reaction score
City, State
West Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
Had a 93 Sport
I'm looking at ordering a 2015 Explorer.

Stopped in a couple of dealers and they want to treat me like a 1984 car buyer. I'm not interested in sitting at their desk for hours or discussing this and that...I know what I want and will be using X-plan.

To me service and convenience are the most important.

How can this be done more simply? I'd like to use a dealer close to me so if I need any service, etc in the future it is more convenient and the level of service will continue.

or...any recommendations for a top notch dealer around the Akron / Medina OH area?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had luck conducting business with Autonation Ford. I'm in the middle of a deal now too- email/ text.

Good luck

call or email the dealers internet sales guy. Most have one, if they don't talk to the fleet manager, they will normally order the car quick and easy without all the sales bs. This is what I did and did almost everything over email.

I bought the Touareg sight unseen online. Start with cars.com. Find a few vehicles, and put in requests to the dealers. Cut the deal by email. Most higher volume dealers have well established internet sales teams and will get to the bottom line $$ quickly with little fuss. Swinging by the local, podunk small town dealership because that's where dad bought cars is a thing of the past. Never again.

I'm looking at ordering a 2015 Explorer.

Stopped in a couple of dealers and they want to treat me like a 1984 car buyer. I'm not interested in sitting at their desk for hours or discussing this and that...I know what I want and will be using X-plan.

To me service and convenience are the most important.

How can this be done more simply? I'd like to use a dealer close to me so if I need any service, etc in the future it is more convenient and the level of service will continue.

or...any recommendations for a top notch dealer around the Akron / Medina OH area?

I've bought many new vehicles from Klaben Ford in Kent, Oh. over the years. Not far from the Akron area. If you want any easy, stress free experience, talk to Doug Carter. He takes care of most of the internet sales and is a really nice guy. His email is dcarter@klaben.com.

I personally would not ever consider buying a vehicle over the internet. I might get a price for one but would not close the deal that way. I still believe that establishing a personal relationship with the salesman and the dealer is important. When I first went in to discuss a lease on the 2011 Limited in December 2010, it took about 30 minutes to reach a deal and it was 'sight unseen' except for picture on the Internet. Every time I went back for service I'd sit down in the salesman's office and have a coffee with him. Got to know him and the staff, including the service advisors very well. On the latest deal where they bought out the final year on my Limited and put me in a 2014 Lincoln MKT, the whole process again took no more than 30 minutes and that included the phone call from the general manager that started the ball rolling. Most of the rest of the time was spent signing papers.;)
My dealership is a small town family owned (62 years) one. Many of the people there know me by name and that does have its advantages as well. The Toyota salesman I dealt with for 10+ years in the city still stays in contact and I drop in every now and then for a coffee and chit chat.
I know everyone has different views, but that's mine and I'm sticking to it.:):thumbsup:

Peter

I still believe that establishing a personal relationship with the salesman and the dealer is important.

Very quaint and folksy...but increasingly less relevant in todays busy world. The belief that you will get a better deal, or if you need service, you need a local relationship. Both untrue. If you are retired, and have time on your hands to build a social relationship and like to chit/chat...OK. I couldn't care less if I saw my salesrep again (he was very nice and very competent). However, I can think of better places to hang out besides a dealership.

Very quaint and folksy...but increasingly less relevant in todays busy world. The belief that you will get a better deal, or if you need service, you need a local relationship. Both untrue. If you are retired, and have time on your hands to build a social relationship and like to chit/chat...OK. I couldn't care less if I saw my salesrep again (he was very nice and very competent). However, I can think of better places to hang out besides a dealership.
I do have time on my hands and yes, I'm retired, but also used this approach when I was still working. I also think that it is VERY relevant and a local relationship DOES have its advantages. I firmly believe part of the problem these days is that not enough people take the time to pursue that avenue. Too much is 'impersonal' now a days. People walking around glued to their phones, ipads etc. What worked before still works today, if people would only take the time.

Peter

I do have time on my hands and yes, I'm retired, but also used this approach when I was still working. I also think that it is VERY relevant and a local relationship DOES have its advantages. I firmly believe part of the problem these days is that not enough people take the time to pursue that avenue. Too much is 'impersonal' now a days. People walking around glued to their phones, ipads etc. What worked before still works today, if people would only take the time.

Peter

Agreed..I maybe only 37 but people tell me I act like im alot older ;-) ..but i do believe in forming good relationships..it goes a long way....like when i asked the dealer if I could go and see them work on my explorer to fix the leak..this wasnt an issue ...I do the same - see my sales rep shoot the shi...have nice cup of coffee..they know me well there and take care of me all the time...

...this to me is kind of a lost art form....things are too impresonal and rushed nowadays...short attention spans...

I can see both sides- where we can buy over the internet and also an agreement in person. When I bought my Limited, the negotiations were all over phone/email. Due to the drive across town and my desire to spend my free time at home, without commuting 45 minutes to the dealership-just to spend a few more hours there. My Salesman understood that and we still had our time to shoot the breeze. When I called, in response to the email chain to negotiate the current deal in the works, a lot is correspondence- which works too. Barrett shared that he sold 2 cars while we were corresponding. However we shot the breeze during my commute home regarding our families and what not. This method works for me, as everyone has different wants and needs. That may be why Ford offered a variety of colors, as white may work for you, but not for me. :)

Heck, I bought my husband's Mustang over the internet, had it shipped and I still have never seen or shook hands with Mike in Wisconsin. But I can tell you he is a super nice gentleman.

...to get your best deal possible in your area you may need to do both - find what you like online, but also contact the internet sales dept at the dealerships near you.
I did and the internet sales team was promising the world, and were a tad better priced than their dealer.

But FYI when I visited the dealership, I walked into the side door, right where the internet staff had their desks.
They were being read the riot act for what they were promising online and phone, and too many times people had come to the dealer but their internet dept deal was not being honored by the sales staff.

I actually saw the very person who I was emailing with.
Basically this dealer had temp workers handling the internet part, and they would fw all comms to the sales staff.
I even saw posted in their office area to offer temp work if it came to that kind of conversation, and they were pushing for coverage on a calendar that showed a need for weekends and nights to 8pm, where most people are done with work for the day.

No matter how you get your car, dont take it without a careful inspection, just from this forum there are many items to check that are not apparent at the dealer.
oh and mud flaps, get the molded mud flaps installed as part of the pkg...
g'luck!

It's attitudes like this that has made the world what it is today. Pretty sad really. Judging by your response/character...the salesman that sold you your Ex is probably just as happy to not have to worry about ever seeing you again as well. You are also 100% dead wrong to believe that forming a bond or relationship with your dealership is a waste of time and does not offer any future value/benefit. Appreciation for each other can go a long way and encourages people to go out of their way to want to help each other versus taking impersonal positions and only concentrating on the bottom line....IMHO.

Tesla is the only automaker that I know of that sells their cars directly. I also agree with some posts above about how working with a dealership can be good. My dealership has helped me with so many things such as car problems and has even taken a step forward in trying to alleviate my problems themselves without Ford. Imagine this, if Ford sold a car to you directly, what relationship have you built with Ford except buy a product from them. If you have a problem, you'd just be another customer and the customer service would be comparable to having a computer repair over the phone with some random person on the telephone that may or may not understand your needs.

It's attitudes like this that has made the world what it is today.

Canadians seem to be a bit more "touchy/feely" apparently. Do what works for you, but I'm not "100% wrong".

If you have an X plan there is no reason why you should feel like an 80's car dealership is taking you for a ride.

I have purchased numerous Fords with the X plan. It cant get any easier.

Wow...spawned a lot of passionate opinions.

I know exactly what we want...and I also know there are not any like this within the extended search Ford offers online. I'm ok...and actually would prefer ordering a 2015.

I don't need someone that will say OK and work with me from there. I don't need to sit in a chair and watch them click on the computer to build, price and everything else. I'd like to do this email and then when we know the terms and stuff, I have no problem showing up at the dealer to finalize the deal.

I want a dealer that will work with me and provide good service (the personal part is good...the sales pitch is not). I'd like to use the same dealer for service as I do to buy.

Unfortunately, my local dealer doesn't appear to have this as their primary business model.

So...any suggestions for good dealers in my area to work with. I tried looking through the 'good dealer' thread, but didn't notice any local to me.

FWIW I bought my Explorer, and my wife's BMW doing everything online, except for delivery (which involved the final paperwork). With my Explorer the dealer drove to my house let me look the car over, we drove to the dealership where we did all of the paperwork. The only downside there was dealing with the "money" guy who tried to upsell me on various extras. With my wife's Beemer they drove it to the house, we looked it over and took it for a test drive and then did all of the paperwork on the kitchen table. We drove the salesman to the local Metro station, and he took the metro back to the office.

I'll go to the dealer to test drive, and check out options, etc. Not sure I'll go there an negotiate any more though...

Try Truecar.com

not sure about the X-plan on this site but doesn't hurt to give it a try.

We prefer to have relationship with a dealer. From sales to service, we are lucky enough to have a dealership that we can recommend. Small family owned and they make you feel welcome. Shopped the big dealerships and got treated like a number.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can get a better discount not using X-Plan.

Having said that have you tried your local Credit Union or Costco? They hav car buying programs where you might be able to tell them exactly what you want and they will help find it for you locally and then you just sign the paperwork and pick up.

Back