Can I replace my 1996 Explorer V6 with a 1997 Explorer V6? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I replace my 1996 Explorer V6 with a 1997 Explorer V6?

asps400

Reaction score
City, State
Concord, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
My nephew gave me his 1996 Explorer with a V6 and said the dealer told him the heads were leaking (possibly cracked). I can’t get it to turn over (engine sounds frozen). I found someone with a wrecked 1997 Explorer with a V6. Can I put the 1997 V6 in my 1996?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

96 has the OHV motor where as the 97 start using the SOHC. Totally different motor. I'd call a dealer and ask what it takes to adapt.

If you intend on keeping the truck, might invest in a rebuilt. on ebay, under $2500. free shipping. for the SOHC. OHV's should be cheaper.

96 has the OHV motor where as the 97 start using the SOHC. Totally different motor. I'd call a dealer and ask what it takes to adapt.

If you intend on keeping the truck, might invest in a rebuilt. on ebay, under $2500. free shipping. for the SOHC. OHV's should be cheaper.

In '97 models there were three engine choices available. The OHV V6, the SOHC V6 and the 5.0 V8. As far as a direct swap I guess it would depend on which motor the '97 has. So here is a bump so someone else can chime in with a little more knowledge.

ha, calling the dealer is usless, they only deal with stock issues. One way would be to sit there and see if they both use the same connectors and if they read the engine timing the same way (how many teeth on the crank trigger and style of cam sensor etc). thats just a start, then if the injectors are the same if you dont have to swap them or run a chip or tuner etc. You basically need to know how both engines run and what it take to make them run, firing order etc

Try calling a junkyard, they should know. If not someone on this board knows. Don't hold me to it but to the best of my knowledge it's a drop in swap. good luck

I swapped my hydro-locked '97 SOHC for a '98 SOHC with no major problems. I remember the junk yard guy and a few other parts dealers asking whether my VIN had an "E" somewhere in it. I think that told their computers what drivetrains matched.

the 'e' in the vin is for the sohc engine an 'x' designates an ohv motor

Back