Can I use parts from my 1991 E-4WD Aerostar in my custom Ranger? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I use parts from my 1991 E-4WD Aerostar in my custom Ranger?

clenzer72

Reaction score
City, State
Whidbey Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Ranger Boddied
Hi guys, I have a 91 awd aerostar (in Washington if anyone interested) and am curious if the steering shaft can swap into my on ranger? My ranger has two U joints in its shaft one about half way up and another just inside the firewall that kicks to the left to steering wheel. (It has a custom chassis, lowered motor 3", nothing stock about my ranger....lol) I,d love to see a pic of the aerostar shaft if anyone has one out and possibly the section lengths.
Also curios about seat mounting into my extented cab. Or any other parts that may work. Was looking at rear heater controls and blend door to see if I could integrate into my under dash hotrod heater.
Or is the gap in years too large for any parts interchange? Does the van have an actual temp sensor to activate a van?
Thanks for the help

Also, this site has helped alot with my Taurus fan decision (two flexalites in a year died). Why can't I use the factory fan controller, just using less wires? Off topic, but this community has been great... lurking for years, now a member

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could you post a picture of the short universal on the end of the steering column on your Ranger? I wasn't able to find a photo of the one on the Aerostar but if I see what it looks like on the Ranger I might be able to tell if it's similar.

The Aerostar has a water pump driven fan (no electric fan), so there's no temperature sensor for a radiator fan.

I'll post a pic tomorrow when the suns out thanks

Don't think so

I looked on my factory DVD service manual. The ranger/ explorer are listed together in the steering parts. From the column to pitman arm. There was no photo of the universal joint. But every steering part was included with the explorer. Try rockauto lookup the joint and if the part number is different then you will know.

I'd be interested in the complete front axle assy to convert a 2wd van but i'm probably 1500 miles from you. The 83-97 ranger would share parts with the aerostar. I don't know with the 98 up ranger.

IMG_20160501_093203_666.jpg

That's the part at the end of the steering column in the cabin area. I thought that you wanted to know about the universal which is connected to the rack & pinion at the very end of the steering column near the engine?

That too u guess... anything to improve my steering linkage geometry

Back