Can someone tell me what this is?

Corik

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '91 XLT 4x4 A4LD
th_Photo0110.jpg

I thought this was my condenser to my A/C system. I had just recharged my system because I don't have any cold air when i turn it on. My clutch doesn't engage. and I've been reading up and read that it might not engage if there was a leak or if I'm low on freon. And i was positive thats what this was. It had oily very dirty filled reside all over the hose. I was sure thats where my leak was. So i took off a hose to find this red oily liquid come out...

Did I miss something here? It looks like tranny fluid. I'm pretty sure it smells like it too. I need help I'm completely lost :(

The Clutch is supposed to be turning right? I heard a click when I first started the car and turned the A/C on

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So where is my condenser? My service manual stated that its in front of my raditator?

Its between the trans cooler and the radiator.. It pretty much covers the entire radiator core so that is what your seeing when you look from the front.

~Mark

Ok, so I still have the problem with my Clutch not engaging. I was wondering if someone knew how to do the jumper test? I'm very new to cars, pretty much teaching myself and this thread has helped a lot. btw this is my first car :)

The condenser is right behind the trans cooler. The condenser covers the entire opening, so you might be thinking you are looking at the face of the radiator, but it's really the condenser.

Yeah, now that I look at it I can see the gap between the two. I just didn't look at it from the right position to notice until now.

ok Problem fixed :) just did my brothers too, he has a '94 explorer and his didn't work either

What was the solution

What did you find that you fixed on both vehicles ?

Back