• Register Today It's free!

Bad A/C clutch or overcharged?

tremolite

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Ford Explorer
I bought my '94 explorer about a year ago and the A/C has never blown cold air. I decided to give one of those AC recharge things a try. I put it on there, read the pressure as per the instructions w/ the car running and AC on full blast. I didn't put much in there and when I did the clutch engaged and the belt started slipping and smoking. Now if I an in park and I turn on the AC it stops the engine. If I rev it up a bit and turn it on the belt just slips and it starts smoking real quick.

So I guess my question is, is it just overcharged? I didn't put much of the bottle in... Or is the clutch bad? I don't think it's been used for a few years prior to when I bought it. Everything works just fine without the AC running, belt spins freely as long as the clutch doesn't engage when turning the AC on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like your compressor is locked up (failed). Disconnect the electrical connector on the compressor and the clutch should release, allowing the engine to run.

The engine runs, it only locks up when I turn on the AC. It just won't turn when the clutch engages, maybe the compressor needs to be replaced?

The engine runs, it only locks up when I turn on the AC. It just won't turn when the clutch engages, maybe the compressor needs to be replaced?

Thats my guess. If you disconnect the connector at the compressor, it will never try to engage. Safer for you and the belt.

I would take it to a reputable shop and have them take a look. But it sounds like the compressor is locked up.

When you added freon, I'm guessing the system was dry or very low on freon, and that prevented the compressor from engaging. Once you added some freon, the pressure was sufficient to cause the switch to close, energizing your AC clutch.

Thanks, I may do that. They shouldn't charge just to diagnose I assume, I would rather just do the repairs myself.

You need to replace the compressor. You can get replacement clutches if that's what's wrong, but it sounds like your compressor locked up and with the age of these compressors, I would just replace the whole thing.

The problem is those FS10 compressors tend to clog up the whole system (Black Death) with debris when they catastrophically fail. To do it right you need to completely flush the system, replace the accumulator, high pressure hose, orifice tube and compressor. Some would say you should replace the condenser as well.

I just did this on my Expedition (it uses the same type compressor and it failed the same way). Unless you want to spend a lot of money having a shop do it for you, I would definitely consider doing it yourself if you feel capable.

You're probably looking at ~$350-400 in parts (from Rock Auto).

You need to replace the compressor. You can get replacement clutches if that's what's wrong, but it sounds like your compressor locked up and with the age of these compressors, I would just replace the whole thing.

The problem is those FS10 compressors tend to clog up the whole system (Black Death) with debris when they catastrophically fail. To do it right you need to completely flush the system, replace the accumulator, high pressure hose, orifice tube and compressor. Some would say you should replace the condenser as well.

I just did this on my Expedition (it uses the same type compressor and it failed the same way). Unless you want to spend a lot of money having a shop do it for you, I would definitely consider doing it yourself if you feel capable.

You're probably looking at ~$350-400 in parts (from Rock Auto).

Thanks for the advice, I think I will end up doing this. I should be able to handle it just fine I have all of the tools I could ever need and an abundance of patience. The clutch is 3/4 the price of a new compressor, may as well just get the whole shebang.

Clutch won't fix your issue. You need a new compressor. Your biggest problem is going to be not knowing where exactly the leak is. Could be a seal on the compressor, more likely a hose/ fitting, but could be the condenser or evaporator.

Look over the AC system for oil residue. This will be a sign of the leak.

Evaporator leaks are usually identified by eliminating everything else.

The more you replace the better. If you reuse the condenser and evaporator, you'd best have a shop flush them. Else you risk ruining your new compressor.

Clutch won't fix your issue. You need a new compressor. Your biggest problem is going to be not knowing where exactly the leak is. Could be a seal on the compressor, more likely a hose/ fitting, but could be the condenser or evaporator.

Look over the AC system for oil residue. This will be a sign of the leak.

Evaporator leaks are usually identified by eliminating everything else.

The more you replace the better. If you reuse the condenser and evaporator, you'd best have a shop flush them. Else you risk ruining your new compressor.

Will probably replace it all, I should be keeping the vehicle for the foreseeable future. I don't think it's been used/recharged in 5+ years probably won't be able to find any leaks/oil residue.

Once you crack it open and get a look at the inside of your lines you'll know more. If they're clean (light green oil is ok), you should be ok with just a new compressor. If there's dark goo, or any shiny debris caught in the orifice tube filter, you'll have a lot more to do.

Back