Can the transfer caseson 95+ be changed to something like the Atlas II? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can the transfer caseson 95+ be changed to something like the Atlas II?

Andy97XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Kensington, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Frankenstein XLT
Can the Atlas II be installed on '95+, specifically my '97? I've got the auto-4Hi-4Low selection. I would like to get something geared differently so I can crawl. I know that with Toyotas, Marlin makes crawler gears. These gears are in a second transfer case that bolts to the stock one. There's a total of 16 foward gears with this combo. Is there anything like this availble for the 95+? If not this, an Atlas II would be super nice as the Marlin setup seems a bit extreme.
If the t-case was changed to one with lower gears like the Atlas II, would it stil be possible to still send that 5% of power to the front wheels or could the front drive be totally disengaged? That would be cool too.
Attn '95+ guys: We gotta catch up with the suspension and tranny technolgy! It seems as if the advances on the +95 designs have only set us back and placed large limitations to the degree of our offroad abilites.

P.S. when do I get my first explorer icon?

------------------
Happy Wheelin,

Andy Statland
'97 XLT 4.0L OHV 4Dr 4x4
Warrior Twist in the works

Hi Andy,
Congratulations on your first Explorer icon. Dead Link Removed
From what I understand the Atlas II transfercase is manual, which means the you would loose the conrtol-trac part of the drivetrain. You can get 3.8:1 low gear(suggested for automatics)and can shift on the fly. also you can go into Lo gear in the front only, rear only, or both front and back. I have been toying with this idea myself and think that I could live without having control-trac. I'm just waiting to see if that damn lift is going to come out yet.
You are right about the after market not supporting us too much, but it is starting to pick up. I have a set of springs that will give me 2" of lift in the rear from Old Man Emu (subsidiary of ARB) in my garage waiting for me to put on that is made for 95+ Explorers. I'm doing a product review for them on these. Guess what I'm doing tomorrow. Keep the faith.

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC
Dead Link Removed

[This message has been edited by Ray Lobato (edited 04-14-2000).]

Back