Can you fool a sensor?

ahhjaws

Moab Edition Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Collins, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT
Hey, this is for my Mustang. It's missing 2 out of the 4 cats so the sensors always trigger my check engine light. The code is that it pulls is the cat's are working unefficiently (obviously). Is there something I can buy or do, to fool the sensors at all?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah. I'm not sure where he got them... my buddy has a 2001 trans am with the same scenario. He 02 sensor "simulators" put in, that basically connect to the plugs where the 02 sensors went. They are supposed to send a signal back to the engine saying all is well. Do a google or ebay search. I think he paid $20 for the pair?? not sure. But there are remedies.

George

Sweet, I'll go check em out. This will help me out a lot. Thanks!

no problem. He got headers and got rid of the cats, and put in the simulators and as a result has no check engine or related problems. Take care
George

I don't remember the exact value but I've used a plain ol 10 cent resistor to sub for an oxygen sensor to troubleshoot ... basically the resistance changes with the oxygen level, you just have to get the normal range of the sensor .... if the engine runs right again with the resistor you have a bad oxygen sensor, if it still runs poorly then you have another problem ... this was on a couple of Rangers and I got the idea (and correct value for the resistor) on one of the Ranger forums but it should still apply here ...

If your looking to simulate the downstream sensors.. I use one from o2simulator.com on our 95 neon. I have a high flow cat and when the sensor gets somewhat slow it throws a code about once every 2 months (the sensor is in a bad place.. it keep getting hit from rocks etc)... It was anoying and getting expensive (o2 sensor is $70ish). I put in the o2simulator and no more codes. I stil have the first one I got from them which had voltage changes from .1 to about .9. On the neon, the simulator voltage was going higher than the front o2 sensor so I was getting a code once in a while. My new simulator shows low voltages (.1 to about .4) and the computer thinks the cat is working very well.

If you feel adventurours(sp?) there are o2 simulator plans on the 'net including ones where you can change a resistor to change the voltage range.

BTW.. this is for the downstream sensor (the one to check if the cat is working)

~Mark

Back