• Register Today It's free!

Can you patch this?

cmg540

Reaction score
City, State
Erie, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 XLT
I recently moved back to NW Pa a few weeks ago and as a welcome back present the neighborhood kids decided to put nails under the tires of both my vehicles. So after replacing the back tire on my Honda Odyssey, I found that my rear tire on the explore had a very slow leak. I had it into the dealer for an oil change and to have them take look at the tire. That's when they found this, they told me that it might be patch-able, but that they would not do it. So I shelled out the money for a new one. I am debating on trying to get it patched and keeping it for a spare just in case they decide to give me some more presents. Nothing like shelling out a nice chunk of change 8 days before your wedding. :mad:
picture.php

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't throw a external patch/plug on it but if you find a industrial tire shop, they can put a vulcanized patch on the inside. On a few comp rigs I've helped maintain we had a local industrial tire shop do it two 2 of our tires on a trailer. We've ran them hard for 2 years with no issues.

I doubt that you will find a tire shop that will patch a hole in the sidewall. Not a good idea.

I'd be sending the bill to those kids parents.....

i've been told that a repair can not be made to the sidewall of a tire (or even close to the sidewall). too much flexing around to hold a patch i guess. tire dealers well sell you a "road hazard" warranty. as i recall i bought one for my daughters car for around $30 once, and the tires weren't brand new at the time. that way you won't have to put out 100% the cost of a new tire if it happens again.

hey, if you know who did it i'd take their parents to small claims court.

I haven't found a shop yet that will, or even recommend, patching a sidewall puncture. I am not big on extended warranties, but I have found that road hazard policies tend to be better buys. After a couple of flat tires that couldn't be repaired, my wife and I started buying them and it has so far proven to be highly beneficial. We have saved several hundred dollars over the course of a few years...

Most shops won't even patch on the flat within one inch of the sidewall.

Plugging a sidewall for $10 is a HUGE liability issue. Can't blame them for refusing.

If I could prove the little buggers did it, their parents would be getting a bill. I love road hazard warranties, sadly though I only have 7500 miles on the explorer and no warranties on the tires. My local dealer did give me a nice break on the price of a new tire so it wasn't so bad. There is a Tire shop down the street from my house I think I might take it there and see what they say, if they patch it I'll leave it set for a spare just in case, if not then off to the garden for my hot peppers in the spring.

While i cant legally reccommend it, i ran a cheap plug from walmart in the sidewall of a tire and ran it like that for nearly 50k without any trouble or even a hint of a leak. I dont mean the patch/plug combo, but the sticky self sealing plug

Sidewalls are not really a patch option ...... Forget it!

I haven't found a shop yet that will, or even recommend, patching a sidewall puncture. I am not big on extended warranties, but I have found that road hazard policies tend to be better buys. After a couple of flat tires that couldn't be repaired, my wife and I started buying them and it has so far proven to be highly beneficial. We have saved several hundred dollars over the course of a few years...
Welcome back Vince. Seems like you had a great vacation.
Unlike the Ford ESP, when I had to replace a tire due to a sidewall puncture on my Highlander, Toyota's extended warranty covered the total cost.

Peter

I bought rims from my local Discount Tire and was able to add road hazard to the OEM tires. You might call them if you have a local place and ask.

Please do not try to patch or plug that. I can guarantee that it will not hold. As soon as you take a turn at good pace it will extract itself. I worked at a Goodyear Tire shop for years, and we would never repair that, that's an immediate recommendation of a new tire and if at the least the spare tire would be in it's place.

And yes Road Hazard protection is definitely worth it!

Actually, a patch not holding is not the worst issue to deal with with sidewall damage. Once you damage the sidewall of the tire, you seriously weaken it. It's just a bad idea to repair them because it is a safety hazard, not just because the patch won't hold and it will go flat again.

I plugged a hole worse then that in the side wall on my plow truck.... But it never leaves my property, never see more then 10 MPH, and gets less then 1 mile per year put on it.

I wouldnt drive on the street with a side wall repair.

Probably not. No shop will touch it that close to the edge.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree, so close to edge I would never trust it.

Back