• Register Today It's free!

Can't find intake manifold leak.

hazardsys

Reaction score
City, State
Dothan, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport
I believe my 2001 ex sport has a leak in the intake manifold gasket, but I haven't been able to find it. I went all around it with carb cleaner trying to change in revs with no luck. Heres the symptoms, the usual 0171 and 0174 codes and when i rev it at the throttle body i can hear a sucking noise. It sounds similar to a secondary on a 4bbl carb kicking in and suckig in air. This is with air intake and all that attached. I also noticed the elbow attached to the valve right behind the throttle body on passenger side keeps collapsing at idle. When i rev it opens up some. Is there any one place that the gasket is prone to fail? Might help me to find the leak if I have a better idea where to look. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks. I'll check the PCV elbow later today. If it is the intake gaskets how long could i go with it leaking? I'd like to avoid putting too much money into this engine. The previous owner didnt take care of it very well and I know its probably a matter of time before major stuff like chain guides etc start going out. My plan is to do a 5.0 swap eventually.

I'm not sure why you need to find out where the gasket is leaking, if it's leaking it will need replacing everywhere.

What Flash said.....I understand not wanting to put alot of cash into it...but you can get a set of lower and upper manifold gaskets as a kit for under $20..

97-01 4.0 SOHC Fel-pro # MS90890 $16.99 upper and lower

Battery acid on purge valve under battery tray seen it a few times

Back