Can't locate 4wd switch on 97 4wd xlt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can't locate 4wd switch on 97 4wd xlt

Brittany11

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
I bought this 1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4wd a few months ago, but had never given much thought to the 4wd function until I woke up to snow this morning. My boss owned her own 97 explorer for 10 years, so I asked her where it was and she said there is just a switch on the radio/heat panel. Easy enough, I thought, but there just isn't one. I found some pictures on google, and yep, I can see where it should be on my panel- but there is just nothing there. Help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe it's not 4wd, they just told you that when you bought it...?

I considered that, but has a 4wd emblem on the exterior...?

hmmmmm... I bought my 98 xlt 4x new and it never had any 4x4 emblem on it. Don't think any ever did. Methinks you've been hoodwinked.
Or just take a peek underneath for the xfer case.
Chef Duane

Look at the front suspension for cv shafts and a differential. Look next to the transmissions for a transfer case.
Is it a 5.0 v8? If so you have AWD and no switch. If it's a 4.0 v6 then it's either 2wd (no switch) or 4wd and the switch is on the radio bezel

97 XLT AWD should have a V8 emblem.

I considered that, but has a 4wd emblem on the exterior...?
XLT 4x4 '97 never had a 4WD emblem, that's from newer years models. It was added there to trick you.

Ok, let's wait for the OP to post back before we keep assuming she was tricked. The 4wd emblem could be someone trying to show off they have 4wd. It could be AWD. Might have a 2wd radio bezel and the switch is floating around in the dash.
OP needs to look for 4wd components (cv shafts, x case, diff, drive shaft) to be sure. Or drop the skinny pedal in wet grass and see if all 4 spin

A V6 would say 4WD on its tailgate emblem.

Yup, my 97 has a 4x4 control trac emblem on the back..

Probably an V8 AWD.

A V6 would say 4WD on its tailgate emblem.
Are you sure? I never saw a '97 with a 4WD emblem. Only on newer models. I saw 4x4 emblems until 2001.

The V8 AWD doesn't have AWD marked anywhere and doesn't have switches since is always connected.

The V8 AWD doesn't have AWD marked anywhere and doesn't have switches since is always connected.

The front fender badges say "5.0" and underneath "AWD" same as on the tailgate.

Bill

I have to say I have seen a ton of 2nd Gen Explorers and NEVER seen a factory 4WD or AWD emblem. Can you throw up some pics of them? Personally I would like to have one.

96 has on the back, lower left on tailgate. EXPLORER XLT. and on the same emblem, below the EXPLORER, in small black letters, control track 4wd. Anyone wanting proof, PM me with your e-mail address, and I will send a picture of it. Dash switch has marked 2wd, 4wd auto, 4wd low.

OP, if there is no switch, then it is a 2WD vehicle or the 5.0 V8 AWD system. Nothing else.

^unless the switch is missing because the PO damaged the bezel and replaced with 2wd bezel.

Here's my '97 XL..

GCmzcHcl.jpg

Interesting - for US models - they say 'XLT', not 'XL'

41N2WlX7y8L._AA160_.jpg

$T2eC16dHJGQFFh4pBRZoBSGCqTZ14!~~60_57.jpg

You can't believe those stickers, I once saw a car with a horsey sticker on it and THERE WAS NO HORSEY IN IT!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back