• Register Today It's free!

can't open my hood

anco989

Reaction score
City, State
Crown Point, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
yesterday i went to do some work and pulled my hood release i got the usual hood "pop" sound but i cant get it actually up now i've tried spraying wd-40 on the latch (what i can see),one person pulls the lever while one pulls the hood, i got on the bumper n tried yankin it up, even drove over some really rought railroad tracks but its jammed good this time... any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Soemthing is stuck. Last time when it happened to me I sprayed WD-40 and it poped up.

Try pushing down on it slightly while fingering the latch. I know sometimes it'll be such a tight fit that when it's popped up it doesn't want to loosen, but if you push it down slightly it'll loosen enough for the latch to let go of it.

Can't stress enough the importance of keeping latches lubed.

Mine did this at the dealer when I bought it. Had someone pull on the hood release handle while I grabbed the hood and lift, it came open.
Once it is open make sure you lube the latch and all that stuff.
Use WD40 to clean it real well, then use some white lithium grease spray or whatever to lube it. WD40 isn't a long lasting lube by itself.
Russ

i got it opened ended up using a floorjack and a baseball bat...worked pretty good

also lubed the crap outta it... thanks everybody!

Same kinda problem -help help

I have had to pull the inside handle, wedge my wallet in there, and go up front to jerk it up. So, I got it up this time and sprayed the dickens out of it! - WD-40, PB Blaster, and lithium grease

I'd spray then work the handle fifty times, spray then work the handle again, spray then (well you get it)

NOW the handle and spring works GREAT and if I still wedge my wallet in the handle I can go up front to lift the hood. SO, what is the part that makes a hood pop up because now the cable's pulling the latch but the spring tension pop up whatever isnt making it pop up

WHAT'S GOING ON???????:(

I have had to pull the inside handle, wedge my wallet in there, and go up front to jerk it up. So, I got it up this time and sprayed the dickens out of it! - WD-40, PB Blaster, and lithium grease

I'd spray then work the handle fifty times, spray then work the handle again, spray then (well you get it)

NOW the handle and spring works GREAT and if I still wedge my wallet in the handle I can go up front to lift the hood. SO, what is the part that makes a hood pop up because now the cable's pulling the latch but the spring tension pop up whatever isnt making it pop up

WHAT'S GOING ON???????:(
On my 96 there is a flat spring that pushes on topof the latch mechanism to pop up the hood. FYI, you can access the latch through the grille with a flat screwdriver. Look for a slot to the drivers ( left) side of the latch. Pry the latch through the slot, while pulling up on the hood. That way, you can do the whole operation yourself from the front of the truck.

Mine did the same thing and after 2 times of having issues a pulled a good one from the junk yard and put them side by side. This is what I saw. Notice the bend in the mount. It's the mount on under the dash that was bent, maybe some cable stretch, but the mount being bent wouldn't pull far enough.

Try This....... Hold The Cable upwards toward the steering column while pulling the lever and see if it keeps the mount straight.

Hold the applause. Thank You

Attachments

• DSC00607.JPG
    DSC00607.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 746

i had this problem a couple of years ago, i ended using a spring hook and pulling the latch cable the rest of the way right under the latch from the grill area. popped right open without any damage to anything
hope this helps

On my 96 there is a flat spring that pushes on topof the latch mechanism to pop up the hood. FYI, you can access the latch through the grille with a flat screwdriver. Look for a slot to the drivers ( left) side of the latch. Pry the latch through the slot, while pulling up on the hood. That way, you can do the whole operation yourself from the front of the truck.

+1 on this. May need to reposition or replace; good JY part as there are a LOT of them out there and this is not often an issue.

Back