Can't open passenger door | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can't open passenger door

bigcrunch

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 v8
On my 97 the left rear passenger door will not open using interior or exterior handle. Lock knob is up and handles feel like they are attached to internal mechanisms any tricks to getting this door open without ripping off door panel.

thanks,,,,,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't tell you how many Explorers have this door opening problem in the local U Pull I often visit. I'd suggest you try and spray some lubricant on the latch mechanism from the window opening slot. I think what happens, however, is a spring breaks inside the latch and jambs it. Keep working at it and, as a last resort, pull the panel.

On that particular door have (can) you observed the lock knob sitting LOWER than other rear lock knob...I'm asking because on mine the THIN cheap metal on door jamb section peeled outward from lock actuator pressure - and thus could be what's causing your door to stick.....where a solid kick from inside would be the remedy to open door -- Less likely the case but possible -- I was driving through a apartment complex, saw a guy working on his second gen door, stopped by, and that's what happened to his!....and he wasn't aware of it YET.....just trying to figure out what was wrong with his lock not working correctly anymore (due to no more solid actuator base/ mounting)

Took a real close look at the lock knob compared it to door that does open it is somewhat lower... I'll try the kick method later.

Mine has a child-safety-lock mechanism on the side of the door frame. That might keep it from opening. I also had to replace inside door handle because it broke at the gears.

Back