• Register Today It's free!

Caster

2001_x

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
Hello, I just got new tires put on my x and I was going to get an alignment done but they indicated that it was not required. Preliminary check everything was insync. The only thing they pointed out was that one the casters was slightly off, but was not adjustable. I was just wonder what problems can this cause? The indicated that it will not cause any abnormal tire wear.

Thanks!! :D

Caster is the rake, or trail, of alignment on a wheel. It is what keeps the wheels straight if you let go of the steering wheel. It also helps the wheels want to return to center after turning.

Imagine the front wheels on a shopping cart. They are offset to the rear, so they'll turn in whatever direction you're pointing. (They're called "caster wheels") That's the same principal as your truck.

If they said it's not a big deal, then don't worry about it. The only time I ever cared about my caster alignment is on my race cars. It shouldn't have a signifigant effect on the tire wear.

I wouldn't worry about it either. The caster is adjustable though if you buy an aftermarket caster/camber kit. The plate put in at the factory is square and not adjustable. The new one is cam shaped.

NCSUDockhand said:
I wouldn't worry about it either. The caster is adjustable though if you buy an aftermarket caster/camber kit. The plate put in at the factory is square and not adjustable. The new one is cam shaped.
The cams adjust for camber, not caster (though they can affect caster).

If your truck tracks straight when you let go of the wheel, then you should be fine with the caster you have.

Back